For a couple days now, my vagina has been itching and I just feel very uncomfortable. And it hurt at the top. I thought I just cut it shaving or something, but I had sex yesterday, and it got worse. I can't even touch it. I don't know what it is. Thank you.

Hi honey! It could be a couple of things 1. A yeast infection 2. A Urinary tract infection 3. Irritation from shaving and one other ONLY if it inside your vagina - Bartholin Cyst!

With the itching I truly believe we are looking at a yeast infection! So here is the thing to do

1. Don't use any scented products - soap or washing detergent - use non soap personal cleanser (they have this feminine wash by Vagisil) or the best is Spectrogel, Physoderm, Teraseptic!
2. Wear cotton underwear.
4. Since you are irritated then I would suggest a 7 day kit - contains suppository and cream - use the entire kit Even if you feel better!
5. Cut out ALL sugars - including pop, sweets, white bread, alcohol - anything that the yeast would think they have gone to heaven ;-D!
6. Air dry as much as possible
7. IF you used a condom - great - IF not have your partner check his penis (as yeast infections can happen back and forth between partners)
8. DON'T have sex, till it's cured! 

Now after the kit is done and IF you don't feel better! Then you need to go and get a urine analysis - to see if you have an infection! BUT I'm pretty sure it's a yeast infection! Good luck!

Thank you so much!

Hello I need help ASAP. over the last couple of days I have a lump just inside my vagina it REALLY hurts, I pressed on it and some blood that smelled came out. What is it? I have been with the same man for several years and I'm sure it's not a STD 

Hi honey! LOVE the name! What this sounds like is an infected Bartholin Cyst! It can be VERY painful - and sometimes dangerous! Right inside the opening of your vagina on both sides there is a gland called Bartholin! This is larger than the other pores, and can get plugged up with vaginal secretions, soap etc. It's just like a pimple! Most go away by themselves, BUT sometimes they become bigger and bigger - with no head to pop! It can become painful and dangerous! I had a couple throughout my life, but I was always able to pop them! Then when I was pregnant with my 1st boy, I had one that became the size of a grapefruit VERY quickly! I had tried to drain it at home, and it just became more painful and infected! I was taken to the hospital, they lanced it there, but it went into my blood stream and I was SO sick they had to do emergency surgery on me and removed both glands - and haven't had it since! Due that scary time, I would like you to go to your doctor and have it checked - and lanced and also put on antibiotics - IF they don't put you on them ASK! This is CRUCIAL! In the meantime try to keep it clean - shower head, and also wear cotton underwear, and a panty liner - just incase it pops before you see anyone! IF you have questions just let me know! And let me know how you make out OK? Good luck honey!

Yes I remember you saying that a couple of years ago, but would it come back? I thought that if you had it and treated it then it would be gone! So why is it back - and do you think it is something more serious? Thankyou for your help!

Yes you can get them back - I think I had about 4 of them over the years!  And the only way the doctors could insure I didn't get anymore was to remove the glands! IF this is the 2nd time you have had one, then you should be OK! But that is up to you and your gynecologist! and I don't believe it is something worse! I am about 90% positive it is this! Get a check up, and talk to your doctor about what to do about it! And then let me know OK? Good luck!

It definitely feels like that, so I hope it is Thank you again, I will let you know how I make out I am going to make an appointment tomorrow for as soon as I can I will let you know.

Its a bit embarrassing, but I would rather have you checked out then end up in a dangerous situation! Good luck!

after spending about 6 hours in the emergency department, the doctors finally saw me ad said I had a very infected Bartholin cyst. They lanced it, which hurt a lot. and I mentioned to them what you said about anitbiotics but they had already given me an intravenous and a perscritpion for Cipro. the doctor said he didnt think he needed to operate and they want me to see my doctor next week. so I hope this works. Do you think that it will come back?

I can't say honey! Mine came back after a couple of years. And just keep an eye on it! Also due to you taking Cipro, I am concerned that you might get a yeast infection from this - it is one of the strongest antibiotics! So keep an eye on that too - and keep the wound irrigated with warm water and about a tsp of hydrogen peroxide. Also i am sure they have told you this but NO sex until you are healed up! I must say I am surprised that they didn't take the gland - as you had a major infection! BUT I'm not a doctor honey, so they will know what's best! Fingers crossed for it to heal and go away! Good luck honey!

OK thanks. I already feel less pain so hopefully that is  a good sign. thanks anyway.

I JUST remembered something, when you left the hospital did they tell you to get a sitz bath, or at least a squirt bottle and put warm water and hydrogen peroxide in it and squirt this on your wound everytime you go to the bathroom? IF they haven't I would DEFINITELY suggest you getting both. A sitz bath is WONDERFUL, just helps with healing etc. Also I was remembering ALL that I went through and whatever you do, do NOT wipe the area, pat it dry with the softest toilet paper you can get, this is the only way to get this thing to heal. The least you touch this, the better. God you have brought up SO many memories about that and I feel REALLY bad for you. Just really keep it clean and DON'T touch it - which I doubt you could anyway as it will be sore. That's why it's good to get a sitz bath and you could use it with cool water whihc feels SO SO good - I can't evendescribe the feeling after all the pain you have been in! Let me know in a couple of days how you are making out OK?

They gave me a squirt bottle, they didn't mention a sitz bath. where can I get one of those and what does it do? Do you think I really need it? I am feeling better today, quite a bit of discharge though, is that normal?

If it's doing OK you might not need one, but it was HEAVEN for me. It looks like a toilet and attached to it is a bag and a tube, and you put warm water and epsom salts into the bag and also into the seat, you put the seat on top of your toilet rim, and then the water swishes your vaginal area and cleans away the debris , and you can also use cool water! I swear by this, the hospital gave me mine. But I've seen them at drug stores etc. also try the medical supply stores. It's your call - if the squirt bottle is doing the trick then save your money! and also I had an operation and had the glands removed - so maybe that's why I had the bath. Also it is VERY common for you to have discharge - as long as it is not getting smelly or looks and feels infected. the sitz or the squirt bottle should NOT go further up the vagina than where the cyst was - as you don't want to squirt up any debris into your vaginal canal - or worse past your cervix. So nice and gentle  - antibacterial non soap wash. and you will be fine soon. It's amazing how quickly the vagina heals itself!