Hi :-)
Well... I've been to doctors, specialists, been to nearly every forum on the internet and no-one has given me any answers :-(

I have been with the same partner for 3 years and for 2 of those years we haven't been able to have sex. Penetration is unbelievably painful, stinging would be the best description, like a square peg going into a round hole...
On my own (and many doctors) examinations I have found that it is a patch just inside the opening of my vagina at the back (near anus) that is extremely uncomfortable and painful to touch, especially rubbing.

I have had tests for thrush, herpes, std's, and many other bacterial infections and they all came back negative.

My doctor has said that I do have some degree of vaginismus (involuntary tightening of muscles) but it was triggered by this pain inside my vagina.

Does anyone know what it could be? It is putting a real strain on our relationship.

Sarah999,
I have a similar condition. I have not been to the doctor yet, do you have any idea what is causing the pain.

Any info you have would be greatly appreciate by me and my bf.

I have a similar problem, but mine is a lump at the opening of my vagina. I cannot afford to go to a doctor - unless it is necessary of course. I am worried that it could be cancer!!!! :'( It is also affecting my relationship with my husband, it has been over a year of trying - sometimes the lump isn't there, but it is still soe, and other times the lump is there and it is impossible to have sex. PLEASE HELP!!!

First of all to! Have either of you had vaginal trauma? By that I mean a tear, given birth - with tearing, cysts etc?

When we experience pain/trauma ESPECIALLY in our vaginas and rectum area, ANYTHING that tries to go there is NOT welcome! Sarah and Aurora you both sound to me like you have a condition called a Bartholin Cyst! At the base of your vagina - just inside the opening at the bottom - towards your anus. Is a gland called a Bartholin Gland, think of it as a pore, this gland secrets liquid - this and others will keep your vagina moist. But a LOT of times this gland can become blocked, causing from a bump to an all out cyst the size of a mans hand!!!!!! o.O

Sarah and Guest, 1st of all I think you might have a mild case of it, but your brain has gotten so accustomed to the pain that it causes your vagina to tighten - vaginismus!!!! Which just makes the situation worse. Sub conciously you are looking at your husband like the enemy!! BELIEVE ME!! I've been there!! So it makes it virtually impossible to have sex!

Aurora, this sounds like you have an infected one! And unfortunately the only way of dealing with it is by having it lanced by a doctor or nurse. :$ I understand your situation about not being able to afford care, so if i were you I would call the nearest planned parenthood clinic, or birthrigt WHATEVER is near you, and is cheap or free. And have them look at it. I had one that became infected and let me tell you it is NOT a good thing to leave alone! And also do NOT try and do this yourself, I had it done at a hopsital and when they lanced it, the infection went into my blood and I had to have emergency surgery!!!!!!!!!!!!

So for all three of you I would advise you to ask your doctor about checking out your Bartholin Gland! Just to see that there is no obstruction - Aurora there is for you!!! - and then he/she can perscribe some medication for it. OR perhaps remove it!! That is what happened to me, becaues I had had the cysts sevderal times before, but the last time was really bad, and they just removed it. Because especially with this type of cyst, because it is in a moist environment, it is bound to return!!!

So I wish all 3 of you NOTHING but health and healing!, In the meantime you can use a sitz bath, or a squirt bottle filled with warm water, 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide, and ALSO sit in a bath of the warmest water you can stand, just covering your pelvic region and pour 3 cups of Epsom Salts into the running water. Epsoms salts, will draw out any infection. The hydrogen peroxide cleans the area!!! Good luck and health to all 3 of you. I FEEL for you like you never know!!! And please keep me updated on your status OK?

I agree with what bambi27 has said about what your issues are. I think that it could be a cyst but that in any case, you should see a doctor about this right away so that they can take care of the issue. If you do not see a doctor, you will continue to experience symptoms and it will not get better until you do. I don't intend to scare you, just being honest with you about the situation. Keep us posted on what the doctor says!