My best friend’s brother suffers from epilepsy and she told me that he is going to have some sort of generator implanted under his skin to stimulate a nerve called vegel vegus in order to reduce his seizure activities. Is there anybody who can tell me more about this vegel vegus nurve? Thank you

Hello. The nerve is called vogel vagus nerve and is one of 12 pairs of cranial nerves. This nerve is very important in the body. It starts in the brainstem and extends all the way down past the head, right down to the abdomen. It has motor functions in the larynx, diaphragm, stomach, and heart, and sensory functions in the ears and tongue. It has both motor and sensory functions in the pharynx (sinuses) and esophagus. Vagus nerve is responsible for quite a few muscle movements in the mouth and also is vitally important for speech and in keeping the larynx open for breathing. This stimulator that you are talking about is thought to affect some of its connections to areas in the brain that are prone to seizure activity. I also heard that it is used for treating depression but that it costs too much.