Today I watched a show on people with epilepsy and I learned that some people can’t be treated at all with medications, that the seizures can’t be stopped and that it was hard before this new technique was found. This technique is called vagel vegis nurve stimulation and I would like to know more about it. I mean, I have never heard of this nerve before.

Hello there. My son suffers from epilepsy, so I may be ablo to help you on this topic. It is always nice to hear that people want to gain more knowledge. Like you said, vagus nerve stimulation is a type of surgery for poorly controlled seizures. This technique does not involve surgery on the brain. A small device is placed under the skin, and periodically stimulates a nerve (the vagus) in the side of the neck with a small amount of electrical current. This process reduces frequency and severity of the seizures. The vagus nerve is one of the paths messages are being carried to and from the brain. Nerve fibers in the vagus nerve relay information from the body's organs (such as the stomach and heart) to the brain. It is thought that by stimulating the vagus nerve, the brain's potential to generate or spread abnormal seizure activity can be reduced.