A very good friend of mine had a problem with C6 nerve block. His doctors tried to base therapy on eliciting neural feedback with the block needle currently exist. He told me that the paresthesia technique they are going to try uses sensory feedback to ascertain that the needle tip is close to the nerve. I am a little bit worried about all this, so I would like to hear your opinion about this. Can you tell me a little bit more about C6 nerve block?

What his doctor started actually is the recommended therapy for the C6 nerve block. By contrast, a peripheral nerve stimulator makes use of motor responses to the electrical stimulation. The relation of motor responses to an electrical peripheral nerve stimulator and sensory nerve contact, or paresthesia, had not been studied yet. Thirty consecutive un-pre-medicated patients with C6 nerve block who presented for shoulder surgery with interscalene block anesthesia were prospectively studied. Interscalene block was performed by the single paresthesia method of Winnie. This has been done using an insulated or noninsulated needle connected to a peripheral nerve stimulator with the power off. At the precise point of paresthesia, the peripheral nerve, C6 for example, stimulator was turned on, and the current was slowly increased to 1.0 mA with a pulse width of 0.2 ms. Presence and location of any motor responses which occur were observed and recorded. All of the patients had easily elicited paresthesias.