Hi, I have read somewhere that vegetable oils are healthier than fats derived from animals. The article said that animal fat has a great concentration of saturated fats that can cause cancer and heart attack. I got very upset, because when I was a child my grandmother used to cook all her meals with animal fat. Is it too late for me to switch to vegetable oils and improve my health? Is vegetable oil really that healthier?

Hi, the picture is not that black and white. The animal fat is not all that bad and there are types of vegetable oils that can do much more damage. The truth is that if you have a well balanced diet, chances are that the fat you are eating will not do you any harm. The problem is that when we think about vegetable oils we usually have in mind liquid oils like olive oil or sunflower oil. The two have very different affects on our health. The olive oil is the healthiest vegetable oil because it does not need any processing after the extraction. All other types have to be processed in order to be used for cooking. During the process they lose a lot of their benefits. And the most dangerous are the hydrogenated vegetable oils. The hydrogenation is a process that turns liquid vegetable oils into solid fats like margarines. I bet that when you think about the fats you are eating you do not think about these solid vegetable oils. My advice to you is that you should try to include in your diet extra virgin olive oil as much as possible because it has been proven to be the healthiest.