Hello guys. So, my good friend Larry called me today. He lives in Canada and he is far away from me, so I can't talk to him face to face and I am really sad about it. Well, here is what is going on. His wife has some problems. She believes that she is fat, but he thinks that she is really thin and they disagree about everything. She talked to doctor and he told her that she is probably dealing with anorexia nervosa. So, Larry is looking for the best treatment. Anorexia nervosa treatment: the best diet plan for people suffering from it. Anyone?

A healthy diet includes 10-25% fat calories (yes, that’s really true), but choose the fats wisely. Limit saturated fats (red meat and whole-fat dairy products) and trans fats (found in most margarines, bakery items, and restaurant fried foods). Saturated fats and trans fats contribute to heart and blood vessel disease. Choose instead healthier mono and polyunsaturated fats. They are found in nuts, avocados, olives, flax seeds, and canola, corn, sunflower, safflower, and olive oil. The oils found in fish such as salmon, tuna, and cod are also healthy, providing protection against cardiovascular disease. Note: these beneficial fats can’t be manufactured by your body. You need to eat them every day to enjoy maximum health.

Hey mrs Sick and Tired,

I don't think that you just need the best diet plan for anorexia, you need way more than that. I mean, Larry's wife needs more than that. She needs to consult a psychologist. First of all, she needs to see the problem that she has in her head and after she makes peace with the fact that she has a problem, then she can go further and focus on establishing a good diet. Diet is the easiest part here, but for her to accept that fact that she has a problem, that is going to be the hardest part.

Gaia is right, if this lady doesn't see her problems, she won't want to do anything to try and fix them. Furthermore, she is going to continue following her diet that she still believes that she needs. She is then going to fall deeper and deeper and out of nowhere, it is going to be too late to try and help her and her condition will become life threatening. 

If her close ones can't make her see what she is doing, then a psychologist is definitely the last and the best option. With a bit of luck, she will agree to talk to one of these.

That lady is in a lot of trouble. It can't get worse than this. When you are suffering from something and you don't want to admit it and you just keep doing things the wrong way, nobody, and I mean nobody can help you. The treatment must first go from you, then it is possible for other people around you to help you fight it, but you have to admit that you have a problem and you have to be the first one to stand up and say "I am going to change for the better, this isn't doing me any good".

Yes, I do know that this lady has a lot of problems and that she is in huge trouble. And I was trying to tell this to her but she doesn't want to listen to me. She doesn't want to admit herself that she is sick and that she needs to seek for help. But I don't know what to do. I really care about her and I have tried to help her, to talk to her, to convince her that she needs to be healed, that she needs to visit a doctor, but she just doesn't want to listen to me at all. I don't have any power over her :/

It is hard to convince someone that he is having a problem if he or she can't see it. Well, the treatment for anorexia nervosa in most of the cases involves a combination of psychological therapy and supervised weight gain, which means that you can't do it alone. If she is in such a big problems, she will need help of doctors combined with medications. I know that it is very important for a person with anorexia to start with the treatment as early as possible, because that is the only way to reduce the risk of some serious complications of anorexia. Especially if your friend already lost a lot of weight.

Thank you! I really don't know has she lost a lot of weight. My friend Larry haven't told me, and i haven't seen this lady for a long time now. So I really don't know how she looks. I was trying to convince her, I was talking on phone with her, but she just attacked Larry because she told him that I should not be a part of their problem. Probably I don't need to be a part of it, but I care about Larry a lot. I will tell him about doctors combined with medications and I hope that he will know what to do.