What kind do you buy? My head is spinning from reading all the labels.. trans-fats, hydrogenated fat, saturated, mono-unsaturated, poly-unsaturated. Heck, it makes a guy just wanna buy butter. :meh:

I prefer butter and if you are heaping it on, I don't think it is that bad for you. If it was only as convenient as the soft tub stuff I would never go back. that being said I use smart balance.

Smart Balance here, also.
I've actually heard a few times recently that sometimes real butter is a lesser evil than many butter-like substances. Just go easy on it.

Alton Brown made a good case for why butter is better on good eats.

Alton is, like, smart an' stuff.

I love the taste of butter and bake with it. And I'm not crazy abuot 'fake' chemically altered foods, etc. However (and I missed Alton Brown's take on it) beware of using butter, 1 tablespoon has 1/3 of your whole day's allowance for saturated fat, a nutrient I don't like to mess with. Not to mention 10% of your daily max of cholesterol. I use Brummel and Brown. Its made from yogurt, tastes a lot like butter, has only 50 calories per tablespoon and has no trans fat.

I use a spray. Not good, but it has no fat --which my diet can tolerate only very little amounts of.

Real butter only. Why?

1. Natural is always better than fake. As in beef is a better source of iron due to the body's absorption process than pills.

2. this

3. this says a few key points:

When stored in the refrigerator, polyunsaturated vegetable oils remain clear and still pour easily. Saturated fats like beef suet, bacon grease, and butter become opaque and hard in the cold. No matter how unsaturated the oils are that go into margarine, they are made more saturated by the very process that turns them into a harder spread. Most brands of margarine do not disclose the percentage of saturated fat they contain, and even though they contain no cholesterol, they still stimulate your body to make cholesterol when you eat them. So the "heart-friendly" advantage of margarine over butter is not so great as advertised.

The body cannot incorporate trans-fatty acids into membranes, and if it tries to do so, deformed cellular structures may result. Eating trans-fatty acids in margarine, vegetable shortening, and partially hydrogenated vegetable oils probably increases cancer risks, promotes inflammation, and accelerates aging and degenerative changes in tissues.

2. this

Veering off course a bit, but that drlwilson site also recommends coffee-enemas :umno: <shudder>

I've always wanted a coffee enema. I'm off to Dunkin Donuts for a cup of hot joe, as we speak! ;)

I've never had anyone at DD ask me to bend over when I order coffee there. :umno:

Guess you aren't going to the right DD? ;)

I use Country Crock, not sure if its butter or margarine

No clue, Mrs. Boiler does the shopping so I just use whatever she brings home.

my wife & i have been using the spray on types, actuually tastes pretty good, IMO. you really have to watch margerines and butter, most people dont realize how much fat and/or transfats they have, and calories. the spray eliminates this.