I heard that they were unhealthy somewhere, but I'm finding it in all my foods! When I looked and found it in my natural peanut butter, I questioned it's badness. I thought peanuts only had essential fats.

So can someone please tell me the deal with these fats? Thanks!

FAT:

Fat is a major source of calories or energy. Fat improves the taste and odor of foods and gives a feeling of fullness. Fats form the structures in our bodies, including muscles, nerves, membranes and blood vessels and are essential for the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K in the body.

Although some fat in the diet is necessary, too much fat can lead to heart disease, obesity and other health problems. There are three kinds of fat: saturated fat, polyunsaturated fat and monounsaturated fat. Fats in the diet may be of animal (saturated) or vegetable (unsaturated) origin. Examples of fat in the diet are gravy, bacon, margarine, butter, cream, salad dressings and nuts. Meats and some milk products also contain significant amounts of fat.
The REALLY BAD FATS:

HYDROGENATED FATS: (Trans-fats

Hydrogenated/Partially hydrogenated. Unsaturated fat that has hydrogen added to make it saturated. Hydrogenation turns liquid vegetable oils into solid fats. For instance, soybean oil is "hydrogenated" to become a solid vegetable shortening. Also, hydrogenated vegetable oil may be added to margarine to make it solid at room temperature and easier to spread. Hydrogenation also helps increase product shelf life. On the label, the term "hydrogenated" is listed before a blend of fats and oils. For example: "Hydrogenated vegetable oil (contains the following: soybean, cottonseed, palm oil)."

Smucker's Natural Peanut Butter
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 2 Tbsp. (32 g)
Calories 200
Calories from Fat 150

Amount/Serving %DV *
Total Fat 16g
Saturated Fat 2g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 120mg
Total Carbohydrate 7g
Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugars 2g
Protein 7g

More: Peanut butter, like most foods, contains some fat. Fortunately, 80% of the fat in peanut butter is unsaturated fat -- "the good fat" -- which may actually help lower LDL-cholesterol levels in your blood. In fact, because peanut butter is so versatile, good tasting and nutritious, it is included in many medically endorsed weight loss and diabetic diets.

Fat, the most concentrated source of energy in your diet, is a vital nutrient. It provides essential fatty acids, helps maintain skin, and carries many fat soluble vitamins such as A, D and E. There are two main types of fat: saturated and unsaturated.

Saturated fat is the culprit that can raise the cholesterol level in your blood. This type of fat is found mainly in animal foods such as meats and whole-fat milk and cheeses. The American Heart Association recommends that saturated fat intake should be less than 10% of the total daily intake of calories. Peanut butter contains only 3 grams of saturated fat per serving.

Unsaturated fat is the type of fat that, when used to replace saturated fat in the diet, can help lower LDL-cholesterol levels (the "bad" type of cholesterol) without lowering HDL-cholesterol (the "good" type of cholesterol). Peanut butter contains both polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fat. Nearly 80% of the fat contained in peanut butter is unsaturated.

Cholesterol is found only in animal products. Peanut butter is naturally cholesterol-free.

Trans fats are unsaturated fatty acids formed when vegetable oils are partially hydrogenated to make the fat more solid. A very small amount of partially hydrogenated vegetable oil is added to regular peanut butter to keep the oil from separating out, to increase the shelf life and to create a creamier peanut butter.

While the small amount of hydrogenated oil in regular peanut butter hardly warrants mention, consumers wishing to avoid it can always select a natural peanut butter. Natural peanut butters do not contain partially hydrogenated oil.

Nice, thanks :)

Yes, very nice!! Thank you very much. I am a fat illiterate--it gets so confusing!!!

mmm...i love peanut butter....

mmm...i love peanut butter....
Same. Have you tried the natural stuff. It's WAY better, and better for you :) .