Hi, I am a twenty six years old woman. My attention was brought to a vegetarian diet. I think that this kind of eating is the best for me. However, I am worried that completely removing meat from my meals might have a negative effect on my general wellbeing. Therefore, I am in doubt. Can you tell me something about vegetarian nutrition? Can I start this diet without worrying that it will have negative consequences on my health?

Hi, it is a common misconception that we can not require necessary nutrition from vegetables. It is true that meat and other animal product contain proteins that are higher in value than those found in vegetables. But if you combine various vegetables in your vegetarian diet you will obtain the optimal amount of proteins. Carbohydrates are mostly provided by vegetables and fruits. It is best to use complex carbohydrates that can be found in grains and root vegetables. A small amount of fat is also necessary for good health. If you thought that you can not satisfy your needs for this nutrition element with the vegetarian diet you are wrong. Olive oil has all of the necessary fatty acids. I am sure that you are aware of the riches of vitamins present in fruits and vegetables. However, I believe that, if you don't want to endanger your health, you should pay a visit to a nutritionist who will design a proper vegetarian diet to meet your needs.