I'm terrified. I'm a 17 year old male and I don't have any dental problems other than having a slight underbite with my teeth apparently due to my upper jaw not being large enough. It's not very noticeable but I am still self conscious about it. I never smile and I really haven't since I was a few years younger. My doctor told me he knows a very good surgeon that could easily do surgery and fix it but the problem is i'm worried about the recovery or if i'll regret surgery. I suffer from depression as well and I just got over being extremely ill with liver disease so I just kind of want these problems to come an end so I can be happy. It just scares the hell out of me thinking about letting doctors break my jaw.. it sounds so un natural, it makes me shiver. Despite these concerns I feel deeply that if I don't go through with it I will not be able to continue living life like this. I train a lot of martial arts too and am an athlete now so I also think about the time i'll have to be away from my training or if i'll ever be able to fight again (I kickbox too).. even though that should be the least of my concerns I think. I just need to know i'm not getting myself into anything huge.. I can handle a month or 2 recovery I think, I just can't leave this un fixed. An aunt of mine actually had the same surgery years ago and I never even knew she had it so I guess it's not as bad as I predict but I just need to be mentally ready for this. Any positive thoughts would be helpful.

Hi honey! 1st of all a HUGE hug! And 2nd "Go for it!" My son - he is 15 - will be having MAJOR jaw reconstruction on January 21st! And he will be having surgery from a jaw surgeon - that does the same surgery as what you will be having done! With any jaw surgery there is swelling of course and pain, but those can be handled with following the surgeons instructions, you will NOT be able to do anything physical untill the jaw has grown with natural bone and healed and the swelling has gone down! You might have a bit of temporary numbness in your jaw and face - depending on IF they irritate nerves or not! BUT that usually goes away within days! It is a surgery that will change your life! My son HAS to have this or his jaw will literally break away from his head! So you don't want to get into that positions and being in control of it is FAR better than having an emergency surgery done! I just wanted to point out something about your depression, how you look after this surgery of course WILL help you somewhat! BUT depression is a mental illness, if it was cureable by operations or physical appeal, then many people would be "cured" after surgeries! So just know that even though you obviously need this surgery to help with the small jaw, you DO need to get help for the depression - so you can live a healthy and more outgoing life!

I wish you a FANTASTIC outcome and just know to follow ALL their advice - get frozen peas etc, these are the best for keeping down the swelling, and also you will have to sit up and NOT lay down! It is impreative that you abide by ALL the rules! And also check this surgeon out - look on line! Ask for pictures - before and after! See if you can talk to some of his/her previous patients - to see how happy they were with the surgery! Information is POWER and the more information you have and question answered the better for your mind to be put to ease OK?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I feel less isolated knowing now that jaw surgery isn't that uncommon, for a while I just felt abnormal, almost like the surgery was a punishment.. but I know now that's foolish to think. I'm just so active right now doing everything I wish I could have done while I was ill. Allow me to provide you some incite.. I went through 2 1/2 years of recovery time for my liver, during which I could not train, or even get up in the morning. Age 13-15 feels erased from my life, and I will go through anything to redeem that. Having been so young and almost losing my life, it's left me with some post traumatic stress, which is a trigger to my depression. As soon as I felt my body getting better, when I turned 16 I was back at the dojo and I started full contact fighting again despite my weak state. I was beat up dozens of times, clinging on to the only techniques I remembered from my childhood to defend myself. Eventually I gained enough weight and muscle, and now I almost never lose. My next fight is a month from now! It was an exhilarating feeling that brought meaning back into my life. Nothing ever meant more to me in my life than the day I walked back into my school, ready to train again.

That was 8 months ago.. now to conquer the second obstacle. Because of the streak I have been on with exercise, I know it will be hard to take more time off. Ever since I stopped being sick everything has been like GO! GO! GO! for me.. I never wanted to stop again. I seem to have forgotten i'm still human and still have some other problems to defeat. That is the soul reason I am not looking forward to this surgery, however, I am looking forward to the outcome.

About the depression and anxiety: It is on the top of my list right now. Your absolutely right, if you are depressed, get help before it's too late and you end up in a hole. I see a therapist twice a week now and am trying different types of medication to control it, but ever since I had liver disease my mental health has changed and has gotten much worse, that's the reality of it. Those years took everything out of me, i'm building myself up from scratch. Before I was sick I was generally happy, with some depression but it never greatly affected my life. After surviving physical illness, Depression/anxiety now threaten my life. It's a working progress to improvement but I know I will never be the same person again. I do feel however, that I will be happy again, I will not allow depression to take my life from me. I will continue working on it. Moving on..

The success of this surgery means a lot to me. The surgeon that I was referred to is apparently very talented and has done patient after patient with success every time. His feedback is almost perfect. I've never met him, but my dentist knows him well, and my father seems to have a lot of trust in him. So as far as the surgeon goes, i'm in good hands hopefully. Now it's just a matter of waiting, i'm slowly turning from child to adult now as I will be 18 in 6 months. Every day is of value to me, every day is important, I don't want to look back and dread my young days. For every day I lost to illness, I must get twice out of each coming day now, that's the way I see it. Thank you for your advice, best of luck to your son! He sounds like a brave person.

As you are too honey! You sound like a VERY mature and articulate young man! And I KNOW that this operation will just be another step to fulfilling your dream of regaining your life back! When you go through ANY trauma your mind tries to protect you at ALL costs! It kind of talks itself into NOT putting yourself out there to get hurt! So it wants to shield you at ALL costs! It is a HARD job to overcome that "protection" and break through and start taking chances again! And sometimes you can't do it by yourself, you need counselling and sometimes drug therapy! It is a tough battle but can be done honey! MILLIONS of us get up everyday to battle again! And it gets easier and easier! After what you endured with a MAJOR organ making you ill and battling through that, makes this battle with the jaw like a cake walk! And you wont be OUT anywhere near as long as you were with your Liver! You will probably have to wear protection around the jaw, BUT you can definitely carry on with your physical activities and have less to worry about than before! Then the next thing to get control of - which sounds like you ARE doing this - is the depression! Just know that sometimes a journey to get to where you want to be, takes time and a LOT of work! BUT arriving at your destination is TOTALLY worth ALL the pain and trouble! Please keep me updated on how things are going OK? Good luck honey!

I am also curious how strong the jaw may be after it's healed. If it's more prone to breaking I may have to change the way I do things.

Actually I think with your type of surgery they will put some metal in - to extend the bottom part, so you will have to take it easy for awhile for sure, but after it should be stronger! I had my jaw surgery - the same genetic condition that my son has - when I was 13 and was in MORE fist fights than I care to count when I was 16 and 17 so I was OK!!! LOL o.O XD They will know how long to keep off physical activity etc. Did they tell you if you are going to need soft food etc.? I just bought a blender for my son! And you could still take the protein meals - to keep your muscle mass up - while recuperating!

It's possible but if that happens I can train using other methods like stretching and learning forms. I won't do anything intense probably for 6 weeks or more. I'm prepared, it's about 6 months from now. I'll have to train my hardest until then so i'll have more weight. I eat pretty soft food normally so that shouldn't be too bad. They haven't really told me anything other than it's in about 6 months or earlier. I've been reading on it. I also need to get a second wisdom tooth out soon it's getting pretty painful. Growing up is horrible haha.. it'll make me tougher though.

See if they will do it at the same time! The syndrome my son has, they have to remove 5 MASSIVE cysts - that have eaten through his jaw bone, and thus caused his wisdom teeth to travel with the bone! One of them is RIGHT below his orbicular bone! So they are scraping out the cysts, and also taking the wisdom teeth! Your wisdom teeth usually bother you at one point in your life, BUT see if this pain is related to the position of your jaw! they might as well do ALL while you are under - right? It would SUCK BIG TIME to have to go back and get them removed while you are still healing!

That's true, i'll keep that in mind. I already had 1 taken out and this should be the only other. I could wait until surgery and ask to have both at once but I think i'd rather just get the tooth out, then the surgery later on, just to get the pain out of the way for a while. If there's a third I need to get out then it'll most likely be taken out during the surgery.

u have the exact same problem as me im 19 and due to have upper jaw surgery to correct my slight underbite in 6 days i am terrified to say the least but after researching many cases i have to say we may have it less severe than others because having ur lower jaw broke has more chance of complications my surgeon say mine is very straight forword which is a bit of a comfort for me, the reason im having this surgery is because like u i have suffered depression and anxiaty for a few years now i have recently come off medication and i feel positive that this surgery may help me alot with my confidence well so im hoping lol my last appointment was yesterday and i had the chance to speak to a patiant who had both jaws adjusted with the top jaw widened he told me he was very happy about the surgery and there was basicly no pain as u are given good painkillers to help with this he told me he was able to go shooting with his dad 2 weeks after surgery, although ur advised to rest for a month some people are ok after 2 weeks depending on ur on circumstance im hopen to be back at work 3 weeks later, i hope this gives u some comfort to know ur not alone ad i will update u once surgery is done x

Thank you so much! It is indeed, a difficult thing to deal with. Depression and anxiety with the surgery on top of it all.. it's scary. But your positive outlook gives me strength. I wish you the best results with your surgery, and i'll update you on my experience once I get more information from my dentist. Should be a month or 2 from now. I can only wait.

Take care!

Alright this is starting to become overwhelming. I'm getting more and more pain in my jaw every day and I still haven't heard anything from my surgeon about when or what we'll do. This is by far the hardest thing i've ever dealt with in my life. I'm starting to loose fluency in my speech and i'm afraid to smile. Feel like I wanna just put a bag over my head and stay inside forever. Not a good feeling at all, I really hope I get this thing over with soon. I don't even care about how scary it may sound, I just wanna finally wake up with a normal bite so I can live life to it's fullest. This is a nightmare.