:'( My son is only 8 years old and he is on a 36mg dose of Concerta and my poor baby can't gain any weight. %-) I get blamed for him only weighing 53 pounds.He eats very well but he has been 46-53 pounds for the past year and a half and his psych doctor doesn't seem to share the same concern that I have yet I get blamed for his low weight.If I stop giving him his meds than that is abuse by me for withholding meds but by me giving it to him he is under weight. Not to mention I have never seen any positive results from him taking it any way.

I suggest you seek a second opinion. Go to another psychiatrist (and a third if you must) and see what they say.

Since your son's weight loss has been since the medication, there's probably nothing you can do. If you go to more than one doctor, they'll probably be able to tell you what to do.

I was reading your post you posted and I have been on ritalin since I was 15. Then after I got out of high school I went on concerta cause it was more useful for me for my ADD. So yes it makes you lose weight and ritalin did the same for me. I was told ritalin should be used on kids and concerta is used on adults. I am now 27 and it does get better but the ADD is not as bad. But like i said i was told kids who are younger like your son and I am not a doctor but kids that are younger are on ritalin then as they get older concerta is used on adults. Ritalin does do the same thing makes you lose weight. After thinking about it concerta has the same ingredient in it as ritalin so I'm sorry concerta has been used on younger kids too.

I had to look up concerta had no idea wht tht was lol now tht I know and after wht I read yeah there should be a major weight loss since it controls ur nervous system which is most of the time why we eat exessively, results can be seen after 2-3 weeks once your body starts to burn the fat you have stored in your body, since you are not consuming any its only option its to burn the one stored. However, its not good to eat only 2 meals a day tht can cause health problems even when u might not think about it.... tht said good luck!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't central nervous system stimulants such as ADD medications have the potential to suppress appetite, hence resulting in weight loss. I am not a doctor but somehow I get the feeling that maintaining a proper weight is far more important than treating ADD symptoms... I hope everything has worked out for the OP.