Hello! My child suffers from ADHD and he has been on concerts 54mg for quite some time. What troubles me is that ever since he has been on this drug his appetite is decreased and he lost a lot of weight. I am very worried and I don’t know if I should take him off this drug because of that.

Hello! I am using concerta 54 to treat narcolepsy, but there is a big difference between me ( I am 35, male ) and a child. Maybe I am taking the drug better. I had no problems what so ever. I am awake and alert, have been even driving since being on this med. From time to time would I get a mild headache but that is all of the side effects. I think you should probably get your child off this drug and consult his doctor about getting another one.

My son was on concerta 54 for ADHD and did well but his apetite did seem to slow so we reduced it to 36 and he is doing better. I also take him to the MD about every 4-6 weeks to be weighed so we track his weight to where it should be to his height since he is on Concerta. We tried Stratera but it didn't work at all for him. We haven't tried the new patch but you might want to try Stratera for your child - it might work for him and is not a stimulant.

umm i have been on concerta for my adhd for 2 years and i take 74mg of it i have to take two seperate pills because they only make up to 56mg, so i take a 56mg and an 18mg but umm i tend to gain weight

if you are worried it's probably with good reason. you know more than any of us if your child really needs to be on this drug or not and if he is benefitting from it or not in regards to his adhd. you can find more natural ways to try and treat him, especially depending on his age, you may want to second guess the short and long term effects any adhd medications may have on your child.
i'm a 25 year old woman who was told i needed to be on ADD drugs as early as age 6. i learned how to deal with my attention and learning difficulties on my own and from junior high through high school maintained a B average.
i didn't have to start taking medicine until college since there's obviously a lot more factors to make it harder for those with ADD/ADHD.
after my experience with medications used to treat these disorders i would never put a child under the age of 18 on them, but that could very well just be my opinion. i do believe seeking alternative treatments would be helpful, and if not at least starting with the absolute lowest dose possible.

take care

I do not take concerta every day, only when I think I'll need it, such as on days of tests and when I have a lot of time to study. Besides moderate headaches coming off the medication, I've experience loss of appetite to the point that I'll even refuse to eat food put in front of me. The only solutions I have found is Advil for my headaches and force myself to eat in small portions. Big meals are more intimidating, so snacking on grilled chicken, 100-calorie packs, applesauce, etc. helps keep my caloric intake up to where it should be. For once, I don't feel bad about snacking!

I intially lost weight when i started concerta 54mg. but that was in the first 6 months because you do loose your appetite. Maybe he could be on a lower dose.l Check with your Doctor.

quote="therine"]

Well here is an hit. When you use Concerta as normal you will have a clean steady weight, but i you abuse the drug to save like 4 and then take them all at once you get speeded, and when this happends also your stomach bag goes to the size that you barley can fit an lollypop.. This is why the ones who uses the drug of Concerta with "Amfetamin" goes down in weith as hell.. You should look so hes just taking 1 per day no more and no less, if he really needs 54 its all from 18mg and up to 54 that makes him speeded, and it's hard to stop using if you use these pills as drugs, belive me i know.. It's almost as hard as crack. Hope this will help you out.

My stepson also started using concerta (only 36mg though) for his ADHD, he is 7 years old, he also lost some weight and he started getting other syptoms, sore tummy etc. So the doctor put him on Ritilen and he only looses his appetite for that short period (when he is in school he doesn't eat his snack) but he eats very good and he doesn't have any side effects (we always thought concerta was the better option but looks like everbody is different) His marks REALLY improved.

I always find it interesting whenever there is a query about a drug that is having adverse effects that they don't go back to the source General Practitioner/Psychiatrist whatever and discuss it with them fully. I think there is always a place for alternative medicine BUT that is only on an individual basis. I worked with ADHD sufferers aged from 5 to 50 and actually the father of the five year old spent alot of money and time on alternative medicine and that child was the worst case I have ever seen. Violent impulsive lashing out made him the class bad boy, no friends etc. When he finally started Ritalin it turned out he was extremely intelligent and went to the top of the class and even made friends. So it can depend entirely on the severity of the patient. If one type of treatment doesn't work or has adverse effects please just go back to your Doctor and discuss it fully with him/her. My advice would be never never just stop taking them without consultation. Keep an open mind. Hope you find thats helpful.

im a 14 year old girl and im an average weight and height for a 14 year old girl. i just started taking concerta. i eat about 1200 calories a day and run 3 times a week. what is likely to happen with my weight loss and how long will it take??

I was prescribed 54MG Concerta pills back in 2005, and i just found the bottle yesterday, and i took 2 pills then got really high, and I felt amazing, but when i got into bed I didn't sleep at all, I was drawing for about 8 hours. So I have to been up for the past 32 hours, and I have a really bad headache and I have not eaten for about 16 hours...is this a bad thing? I'm 15.

My daughter is 10, and takes Concerta on school days. She takes a dose of 27 mg. It is just enough to help her focus in school, but not a big enough dose to give her strong side effects. She initially lost some weight, but has maintained it after the first month.

you know here are your parents at they should be montorin you will you taske the meds. Any parent that dont watch there teen aged child te mdicaton should get in rouble for it. And if you were iding the meds so that wa you can tke tem to get high what would you hav done it you died, or without eating for all that time your blood suga could have crashed and that could kill you, don't be stupid take them right or dont take them at all. yor only hurting your self in this situaton....i hope you dont do this again

hi, i been on concerta, 54 mg, and im 15, 5'11, 218 pounds, i been on and off with this pill and it has made me go back and forth with weight, now im staying permantely on it. i dont ever sleep much anymore, and i been having anxiety (idk if its a side effect) but i only eat once a day. and lose 5 pounds a week or so (ive lost 15 in a week) but how should i maintain a healthy diet and such? please reply soon