I recently lost some weight and now I have had some very light spotting for about a week. Is this an irregular period?

I've just experienced the exact same thing -- I've lost 40 pounds over the past eight months, and not only have my periods gotten heavier, but this month I had spotting for 10 days before my period. It was pretty unsettling because I've always been extremely regular. I wonder if it has to do with the weight loss.

This is happening to me too. i lost 22 lbs over the past 6 weeks and for the past two moths I have had mid cycle spotting. I dont know if it is normal, but we are all in the same boat it seems

Gee, I'm not sure. I'm a health coach who HELPS people to lose weight. I too have been spotting all week (week before my period). on the pill forever and no sex. I've never experienced this, nor heard of it with my clients--but that is interesting and need to look into it . . .thanks!

I lost about 20 pounds in the last 2 months, and this month my period came a week early, then it stopped for a couple of days, and then started again. I am on the pill so I always start at the same time every month, so I was really confused. I am thinking it must be because of the weight decrease and I have been exercising about 5 times a week.

I've also lost close to 7 pounds the past 6 weeks or so. I just started spotting about 1 week after my last period ended.

Ok so I have lost about 13 pounds in the last month... and I have been working out 6-7 days a week alternating between running 6mls and elliptical for 45-hr with weights. I started spotting at day 28 (I keep track on an excel sheet because I do not use birth control and have unprotected sex during the times I can.) And I have been spotting through to today (day 29). Spotting is out of the ordinary for me but so is this workout regimen for the last month.

I think with the dramatic drop in weight and heavy workout schedule my once very regular period (always starts heavy ends light) is now going through a change. I could be pregnant but I don't feel pregnant, I feel like my body is adjusting to the weight difference/heavy workouts. We'll see. I am pretty sure we all have the same thing going on... we are changing our bodies and our bodies are adjusting to the change. I'll let you know if I end up pregnant and if you don't hear back from me it's the workouts/weight loss that is probably causing spotting. (PS I am in extremely good shape so I think the loss of body fat is also not helping the situation.) Has there been anyone that actually turned out to be pregnant?
Thanks for your comments!

I actually know this answer as I asked my doctor about it. Our fat cells carry hormones in them. As they dissipate and leave our system those excess hormones are released caused us to have irregular spotting etc...It sucks! I've lose 16lbs in the past 6 weeks and I'm having medium flow bleeding b/c of it.

hi, thanks you guys i was starting to worry that i was pregnant! i have lost 10lbs in 2weeks and suddenly seem to be having a period 10 days too early! it sucks that you try and be good with the food, avoiding all the tasty foods and as a reward you get a crappy period! annoying body!!!!! lol x x x

Hi I don't think i have lost any weight but I started my period a week or 2 early. I had unprotected sex, I'm not on birth control, nor did he pull out. We did this several times over the two weeks my finance was home from his tech schooling for the Air Force. I don't think I am spotting because it is heavier like a normal period. It is pretty dark colored. I didn't know if i could be pregnant or just starting early was normal sometimes. I mean we didn't use any form of protection for those two weeks and now my period is like 12 days early. This is weird. I just want to know what could be happening with me. Can someone tell me?

Hi. So I'm PRETTY sure I'm normally underweight to begin with... I'm 5'7 and 109 lbs, for a couple weeks i wasn't eating very well (Skipping lunch & breakfast, I had no money) and I might have lost a few pounds. I was 104. I had sex with protection on sunday and I was supposed to start my period around this time. I'm not entirely sure if I was technically late or if my period was just being weird (It's weird all the time) I was really worried that I might have been pregnant. I started my "period" today and it hurts just as much as it normally does but its kinda a light brown color...