laural4018 wrote:

To those of you who have lost weight on Wellbutrin...what is your dosage? It was just prescribed for me and I'm about to have my prescription filled. Also, I'll be switching from Paxil (20mg) to Wellbutrin. I hope it don't have withdrawal from Paxil. I tried to wean myself off it slowly last summer over three weeks, and felt really sick and out of sorts, and ended going back on it. Hope Wellbutrin works for the mood and the weight loss!

Tusha wrote:

I'm hoping to lose weight on wellbutrin(i just started it yesterday but already I have no desire to eat..even when I am hungry).I was on Paxil for 6 years and I went from 150 to 215.(aka..sexy to gross). I went on paxil to treat anxiety(not depression) and it's made me so depressed I gotta go on another drug(wellbutrin) to treat my damn depression which paxil gave me because it made me get so fat! I need Wellbutrin to help. Paxil is the devil in my books.Quote:

I am currently going off of Paxil and going onto wellbutrin. I have been on Paxil for around 10 years. I was up to 60mg a day and right now I am down to 10 mg, it is really hard to get off, I am really starting to have the dizziness and just feeling crappy, but I am going to try to just stick it out. The main reason I am going off of the Paxil is because of the weight gain. I have put on 60-70 pounds on the Pail. It sucks that you take something to help with your depression and it makes you fat and that makes you even more depressed!! I will be done with the Paxil on the 18th and go to get on wellbutrin on the 21st. Good luck everyone on the wellbutrin and weight loss!! :)

I asked for Wellbutrin a month ago to help me quit smoking.I have lost 10lbs on it (and needed too)I was on Celexa for anxiety for 8 years but went off it..the Wellbutrin is causing anxiety now and agitation and im seeing the dr today to ask him to also prescribe a low dose of celexa for the anxiety

Im on just 100mg of Wellbutrin SR...and will not go up any higher

I just switched to Wellbutrin about two weeks ago, from 40mg Lexapro to zip and directly to 300mg of Wellbutrin. I really wish the doctor had told me about withdrawal because I actually went to the Emergency Room I was so anxious and in pain (all they found was inflammation somewhere near my ovary).

Lexapro withdrawal made me eat a LOT of food (I started getting extreme pain in my stomach if it wasn't always full) and now the Wellbutrin dehydrates me and induces vertigo and vomiting.

It has also made me very volatile and emotional, to the point that I had an anxiety attack while watching a (okay, somewhat violent and intense) movie. I got so involved in the movie that for a moment I thought I was being raped too.

Long story short I'm losing weight, but don't think the damage it's doing to my body.

Is this common or is my doctor a sadistic id**t?

TheFlyingLime wrote:

OK this has me a little worried. Just went to the Dr today and she switched me from Lexapro 10mg to Wellbutrin SR 150mg a day. I was having so many bad side effects from the Lexapro but am now worried about the withdrawl effects. I also take Xanax so I think my anxiety will be in check. I need to start feeling better not worse. At this point I can't even work because I am so depressed and tired all the time. I am hoping the Wellbutrin helps.

From what I read in the materials that come with the perscription it mentions Xanax specifically as something you should not take while taking your Wellbutrin. I'm sure your doctor is aware that you use Xanax and had perhaps thought of this. Perhaps that is why you're on a lower dosage of the 150 mg.

So far I have had a handful of side effects from the Wellbutrin none of which have been overly terrible.

I have expierenced Memory Lose, Nausea, Lose of appetite, Weight Loss, Dry Mouth, Fatigue, Dizziness and Tinitus.

I have had increased energy and an increase in the desire to do things I normally had no desire to do such as wash dishes, clean, and work out. I used to have to force myself to get into a routine to work out and now I just want to get up and run.

I have never taken any other medications before this and I have only been on it for about two weeks. I've lost 10lbs.

I have been on it for less than a week and have lost 8 lbs...not exactly healthy amount of weight to loss in under a week. I'm averaging over a pound a day....maybe because I'm 213 lbs and short? I guess I feel like my younger self....less hungry and I don't overeat and I'm constantly cleaning! I finally feel like I have a handle on my house and in the morning sometimes I'm ready to go before my alarm goes off. Also, I've achieved quicker satisfaction in the bedroom.

I was afraid to go on antidepressants....now I'm not minding. Only side effect I'm experiencing is itchy skin with sometime hive like rash...I often had that because of my thyroid so I'll take the pros over the cons for now...

I was recently perscribed Wellbutrin as well as Topamax for bi-polar disorder. 300mg Wellbutrin 200mg Topamax. I can see why that stuff makes you loose weight. A. I don't think I eat half what I used too and B. I just went 48 hours without sleeping, and popped up this morning like my microwave oven *ding* after 8 hours and cleaned my house. I feel great. Bad thing is I spent half of that 48 hours up trying to find words to say stuff and I'm not sure how I'm going to go back to my job as a call center rep next week. It took me a half hour to do this post. Does anyone else have this problem?

I've been on the 300mg dose for well over a month now and have lost like 5-10 lbs fun!! but okay so I'm like upping my dosage to 450mg will this cause me to lose more weight?? Could the weight loss possibly be due to an increase in matabolism? I have been eating the same, OR MORE, and don't excercize often hahaha yeah i know. But can it affect the matabolism?

yeager wrote:

I have few questions about the whole weight issue and antidepressants. I have been on Wellbutrin for a few weeks. Also, before that I tried some other drugs, and all of them made me gain so much weight. Now I started to lose weight so I want to know if that is normal. I would like to know if anyone else experienced this, and know why Wellbutrin cause weight loss?

I don't know why it causes weight loss, except that it makes you feel less hungry.. Unless you're trying to lose a LOT of weight, my advice would be to keep eating as much as you can while on it. I've been on it for a week and a half and have dropped ten pounds already. It's scary what it can do if you only eat when you feel hungry whilst on it.

It is normal to lose weight initially on Wellbutrin, however, for most people weight returns to normal after a few months. I am close to being underweight to start with, and went from 110 lbs to 99 lbs over about 2 months. I had no cravings for chocolate or sweets. After several months my appetite returned and my weight returned to normal. My physician was initially concerned and wanted to take me off Wellbutrin, however, the weight loss was only temporary.

ive been on wellbutrin for like 2 months and havent lost anything =\ im now on 200mg and im starting to lose my appetite

I just started taking Wellbutrin (today was my first dose)...200 mg...and for some strange reason had a MAJOR craving for chocolate. I am hoping this a fluke thing since I never ever do that. I am thinking maybe I have been craving it for so long I gave in. I am not really sure. I hope this does not continue. I am on Wellbutrin to help wioth depression since it does not really cause weight gain. Did anyone have a familiar incident like this? Less then 24 hours after starting the drug....

I have taken several medications in the past for depression/anxiety/stress. Zoloft killed any sexual desires. I was happy & calm but didn't ever care to be intimate with my husband. Then I was on Celexa which made me gain a bit of weight. I was also on Lexapro for a year and gained 15-20 lbs which made me miserable. I wasn't stressing or angry but getting fat. I stopped taking Lexapro cold turkey which caused excruicating headaches. I eventually lost the weight.

I now know I need to be on something. I get irritable very quickly and at times I feel depressing sucking at me like a black hole. I really don't want to be on any medication. (My father called them my "crazy pills" a few years ago. :-( But I'm scared of gaining weight again. I am fighting having to go on anything, but know I probably should. I'll see if I can try Wellbutrin after reading this post.

I don't know if anyone out there had the side effects I did on Wellbutrin, but it was BIZARRE...

I did lose weight, but was doing weight watchers at the time... I just thought I was doing a REALLY GOOD JOB! I'm now on Effexor and getting FAT. But at least I'm not having a nervous breakdown.... oh, the sacrifices I make for peace and quiet in my head....

But I digress... I noticed after about 3 weeks of taking Wellbutrin, (not really paying attention to whether it was "working or not") that I could not possibly be having severe PMS, because it coudn't possibly have lasted for 3 straight weeks, even after my period was over... I suddenly realized it might be the Wellbutrin....

It made me SO miserable, irritable, and angry to the point of manic, and almost violent... I would be driving down the road, and for no reason at all, would be furious with the car in front of me, just for being a guy in a BMW or something. I would walk into my office, and have the strongest urge to just smack people for being stupid... those kinds of things. I'm NOT like that at all, and usually focus on trying to be happy and positive... my only real issues are worry, anxiety, panic... NOT violent urges to smack people and general hatred of mankind for no particular reason! I stopped taking it, and was back to normal within a day.

Just thought I'd mention this, in case anyone else had that reaction. Obviously it's not listed in there brochure... but I"m learning with these anti-depressants etc, it's truly a trial and error process, depending on each individual.

Zoloft made me sleep until 4 or 5pm in the afternoon if I had the time, Wellbutrin made me a Satan-spawn psycho, Cymbalta made my colon swell so big you could feel it thru my tummy and I think I almost died of malnutrition from not being able to digest food on it, (not to mention the constant taste in my mouth like I had been eating rotten, soggy lettuce), celexa and lexapro (which are almost the same, I believe) were great, but I needed that extra boost with the Effexor... I"m fine on it, but feel like I'll end up in an institution coming off of it one day.

I was curious if anyone else has taken wellbutrin sr then gone off it for up to a year and then back on it.

The first time I was on it, I lost about 7lbs fairly rapidly. It's been about a year now and I'm back on it again, it's been about 7 days and I haven't lost any weight at all.

Do you think your body remembers the "initial" side effects and has somehow become resistant to them the second time around?

Obviously when quitting smoking (which I am) it's nice to not have to worry about weight gain. Any insight or similar experiences would be great to hear about. Thanks!