i use to take wellbutrin bout 5yrs ago n from what i do remember i did loose alil weight n barley smoked. i was only on it for a couple mons. i jus started taking it again bout 3wks ago. at first my appatite was gone, dry mouth n didnt sleep as much, n then the past couple of days it don't seem like im even on it. so im bout to go back to the dr. n get it up to 350, hopefully it helps the way it use to. i also remember it made me feel like i was having hot flashes, at the time i wasnt old enough to get those so i know it was the med.i need to be on this for all 4 reasons, depression, weight loss n smoking so i hope it helps. it was making me feel alil happy to feel my gutt going down jus da past 2 wks.

The generic by law has to have the exact same effective ingredients and be just as effective as the "name brand".

I am taking the generic wellbutrin. I have been on it for about 1 1/2 weeks now and have lost 8lbs, have ALOT more energy, and feel "better". I have noticed my stomach growls constantly so I am not sure how I lost weight? strange, strange....

I have taken wellbutrin for over a year. Any initial side effects will pass quickly. However, you must take it at the same time every day to avoid things like nausea or irritability. This is true with every medication of this type. It is great for weight loss, increased energy, depression symptoms, improved mood, etc. It is a great medication, just give it time to work. Most importantly, take it at the same time every day, preferably mornings, and do not miss any doses!! Hope this helps!

Wellbutrin causes weight loss because the drug works as a stimulant as opposed to a depressant. Similar weight loss effects are reported with ADHD medications such as Ritilin and Adderall, which are also stimulants. Although it sounds counterintuitive to the label "stimulant," these drugs suppress appetite. If you have ever tried taking any of the commonly found weight loss supplements on the market, these also include levels of stimulants in them. This stimulation (in both psychopharmaceuticals and OTC weight loss supplements) can also cause jitteriness, shaking, rapid heart rate, and irritability (especially after discontinuing the medication).

i'm 16 years old and i've been on wellbutrin for about a month and i've lost 27 lbs. my mom says it's because it speeds up my metabolism.

Hey everyone,

Thank you for all the wonderful posts. It has helped me to know that I am not the only one going through this and looking for the same results. I finally broke down and went to the doctor about a year ago for depression. I am pretty sure that it started back in middle school with family issues and continuously got worse and spiked in college and when I moved out of the state with my fiance.

I tried about 3 different medications, Fluoxetine, Citilopram, and one other one but was only on each of them for the max of 2 months. I noticed rapid weight gain with all of them. Granted the weight was slowing piling on over the few years from college til now because I would binge and now I am pretty sure it was to fill that void that now the medication is now able to do.

My dr first started me on the 150 mg Bupropion (generic wellbutrin) sr and it worked for about 6 months. I didn't notice ANY side effects. Stupid me I thought I was doing better so I stopped cold turkey for about 3 weeks and noticed that I was slipping back down that slippery slope. In that time I had 3 family members go to the hospital (first time anything serious has happend to me in terms of immediate family) so you can imagine my depression just tanked. I went back to the doctor 3 days ago and discussed my problems and he uped me to 200mg Bupropion Sr 2 times a day for a total of 400mg. Since the increase I have noticed no appetite, more energy to work my 2 jobs, and an overall feeling of being worthy.

I would tell people to stick with this drug even if you are experiencing mild side effects, so long as it isn't the seizures of course :-) . I am one of those that didn't really experience side effects, we attributed the weight gain from the other medications to it making my depression worse causing me to turn to more food. Right now I am 169 lbs and 5' 3" so I can stand to lose over 30 pounds.

I will keep you posted. I go back in 2 weeks to check how this dosage is doing.

I am 30 lbs over weight and have an appointment on Tuesday with a weiight loss clinic who uses 125 miligrams of Welbutrin and a weekly vitamin B-12 shot for weight loss.

I am just wondering if this is safe for weight loss alone. Are the side affects different for someone who is not clinicly depresses?

Is anyone using Welbutrin for just weight loss and if so, please share your experience with me.

Thank you ver much!

Thanks to everyone for their posts. Very informative. I went to my doctor over weight gain, twice. Finally, she gave me some hope. I have been working out for past 6 mos, reducing calories to 1500 then 1200, drinking tons of water, hired a strength trainer for 12 wks plus cardio on my own, and when that ran out I started riding my bike to work, because at least it was something. I lost nothing, in fact I'm probably up approx 8lbs since xmas to a peak of 190 & I'm 5' 8". I'm late 30's, spend l-o-n-g hours (9-11/ea day) m-f in office sitting in front of computer or meeting with clients. Lots of stress. Full family life & busy schedule. With workouts I didnt notice energy increase or clothes feeling better or inches off- nothing. Just discouraged that despite my efforts I was continually getting heavier. My girlfriends doc gave her something for ONLY 30 days to get her metabolism jump started & energy a boost. So I begged thru tears yesterday again to my doc. She didnt want to give me what my girlfriend had, a controlled substance: phentermine 30mg, many side effects. I needed to weigh 5 more lbs to be 'obese' in the states eyes who regulates controlled substances. Instead she gave me hope with 300 mg Wellbutrin and asked me to try it for at least 30 days. She wanted to give me max dose and we can come down from here to find my optimal level. My plan is to only use it as long as my stomach is enlarged. Once I get it shrunk down, I will stop and see if my body remembers how to continue to lose weight on its own. She said I can stop and start it and I shouldnt have withdrawals or negative side effects. She also said it is back in clinical trials as it was originally brought out as antidepressant, then found it had great effects on kicking tobacco addiction and now is being tested to see if it the next non-controlled diet assistant due to is appetite suppression capabilities. In 3 days, with lots of exercise, and good food choices, I'm down 6 lbs & no appetite with lots of energy. I listen for my stomach to growl and then make a good choice in portion and what to put in my body. I love healthy food so its no problem giving up all the yummy stuff - once you have NO appetite. I'm so hoping that once my body remembers how to shed some lbs, I wont need this but it can be a help to all of us who have ever struggled with trying to shed a few lbs.

I was on elavil and lyrica for pain. I went from 225 lbs to 300 lbs over 5 years. I had enough of the weight gain and stopped taking both medications. Then I started Wellbutrin XL , 150 mg for 2 months then up to 300 mg. I had an incredible reaction. I lost 90 lbs in a year. It also increased my libido and gave me more energy. Now the effect seems to be wearing off. I have more cravings and gained 8 lbs. I'm going up to 450 mg. The negative effects were tinnitus, constipation and trouble sleeping but it is well worth it. If 450 mg doesn't work I'll stop for 4-6 weeks and then restart to see if the weight loss starts again. It is important to ramp off this drug slowly.

When I was on Welbutrin I lost around 100 pounds. I was taking it for ptsd and depression. I have a severe anxiety disorder also stemming from my ptsd because of an exstreamly tramatic experience I had a couple years ago. Taking welbutrin it was hard to sleep so my doctor gave me trazadone to sleep. Then as my anxiety got worse (as well as my a stressful home life) and I was perscribed more and more meds like seroquel, lorazapam, adderal, xanax, valume, lamictical, and the list goes on..... By this time I was so mentally messed up I couldn't make healthy daily decisions for myself. It was so terrible I lost my job, my husband, my house, and the support of my family. I was taking prescribed medication and all of the sudden my life was a complete mess. I have stopped completely taking ALL medication for 6 months and I started counseling with a pastor and certified counselor. I am back on the welbutrin and I just think its a great medication but PLEASE BE AWARE OF THE SLIPPERY SLOPE prescription drugs do. Always seek a counselor while taking any medication for depression , anxiety, or ptsd. I truly had a nervous break down and lost everything positive in my life before I knew what was happening.

I'm going on Wellbutrin generic biupron or whatever, 75mg to stop smoking. I'm sort of excited about the weightloss side effects. It seems pretty much the census that u lose around 10 lbs the first month, an a few a month after that until the side effects wear off?
I really need to quit smoking b/c my sister is expecting a baby and i dont want her around that. Can anyone tell me what to expect with the 75mg?

I took it to quit smoking it worked great but I also did a nicotin gum and that help the cravings at first then i didnt crave cigarettes any more after about three weeks Sams club has the best prices on it and there is also a generic xr now I just found that out today

I just started talking wellbutrin again..last time it didn't do anything for me but I was really depressed so I was always eating and never working out. Now I'm on a diet and working out more, so hopefully I'll loose weight quickly this time... I'm a 5'3 190lbs female so if I loose weight I'll post again!

I am a 21-year-old girl. I have suffered from depression on and off at points in my life. I am just restarting wellbutrin today actually. I am reading up about it as it has been almost 4 years since my last time on antidepressents. Now i am a person who is aware of my weight, have used diet and excise for many years and I am dumbfounded on the posts about using an ANTI-DEPRESSENT drug to lose weight. Join a class, go outside, play frisbee. People there are other way to lose weight, a pill that is used to help you wake up in the morning is not something to be taken lightly.