Your "word findind" side effects are from the topomax and unless you suffer from migraine headaches or epilepsy, you shouldn't be taking it. if you truly need topomax, you will not have these side effects. for people with temporal lobe defects, topomax works wonders for them. for people who don't have temporal lobe defects (that's a part of ypur brain, by the way) it will make you dumber than a box of rocks, hence the word finding difficulty. there's a reason its dubbed "dopamax" and "stupamax". i take it for migraine headaches and for a seizure disorder and have never had the cognitive side effects you are describing. you need to talk to your doctor. topomax is NOT a bipolar medication.

I know a friend who lost 50 lbs after being on it for just over a year. If you type in the drug to google you will see all the information on it. Clinical studies were done and it lists that while "unusual" weight loss is a side effect. A fairly common side effect, and my doctor explained to me that it is mainly due to the appetite suppression, it makes you lose weight in the same way that prednisone(steroid) makes people gain weight, only that increases your appetite a lot. Anti-depressants are meant to adjust the chemicals in the brain, and the appetite control is up there too, everything is. Its nothing to be alarmed by unless you go into the underweight category of a BMI.

i am 44 years old and started using wellbutrin 3.5 years ago. i was on 150mg to start didn't see any significant weight loss at the start. in fact, i thought my weight gain was from the wellbutrin. when i moved up to 300mgXR i started to see a significant amount of weight loss. i am currently at 450mg and i've been here for about 6 months ... and my weight loss has tapered off, but no to the point where i'm gaining again. i walk about 5-7 miles a day so i'm not sure if the weight loss came off quickly due to high exercise and the wellbutrin, or just the wellbutrin. i think it's great! i've felt the best i've ever felt on this medication. i'm alert, focused and happy. :-)

:'( that would be me ... I'm here to find out how good is Wellbutrin ... I've been on numerous medications and felt that none will or could help so I just got off them cold turkey ... my doctor was very upset with me and spoke with me not to give up on life or myself ... so he recommended Wellbutrin ... now I'm a lil confused because the bottle says 150mg and the medication tag says 300mg so first thing tomorrow morning I am going to call my doctor.
I've been going through depression for so many years and I feel that no matter what medications I take it will be a part of my life forever ... nothing will ever help ... this is my last try ... yes the losing weight on this medication sounds good but if its not going to help my depression then I don't need it at all ... I'm so scared not knowing really about the side effects that my body will encounter but hey what do I have to lose.
God bless you all and good luck ...

I have been on wellbutrin since last summer, my dosage is 2 150mg tablets daily. I noticed weight loss (nothing dramatic) and it did help with my post pardum depression.

I've been struggling with my weight for my entire life. I've always been the chunky girl in school. When I was 16 I got more active in school and got into a great relationship with a guy that makes me feel beautiful. I ended up weight 142 (I have this weight saved on my scale) Then I got into college and I lost weight my freshman year, not much but I was still happy with myself. College began to slowly give me unbareable anxiety and stress beyond belief, I will be a senior this August and I now weight 185. When the summer started I weighted 195, but after losing the 10 lbs I haven't been able to lose anymore. thats 70 days eatting well, working with a trainer twice a week and cardio every moment i could. I've become super depressed about it that my doctor, who is a great family friend started doing a bunch of tests on me. my thyroid is fine, I'm a perfectly healthy 21 year old girl. Then she told me that I may be having underlying depression caused by pmdd, and its something I could just have been writing off as that time of the month. I'm usually a happy person so I wasn't thrilled with the idea of antidepressants being given to me. She prescribed one week of 150 then a year of 350, i'm currently on my 3rd day of the 150 does and its not that i've had weight loss, i'm just happier about myself in general. I find that by taking it i'm happy inside and not just on the outside now.

But the symptoms: lose of thought I"ve had before the drug was given to me, and I'm actually a lot more alert now and can actually recall stuff better now cuz of it.  no loss of sleep, and remarkably, although i will never admit this openingly to my friends, I was more of a mean B**** without the medication than I am now. I've always been the leader of the pack, but I think its more because I was bullied about my weight when I was younger so I develop that as a coping mechanism.

I like what its doing for me now and hopefully this will help out in the long run.

With welbutrin, it gives you energy (it's an upper rather then having downers) celexia for example will make you groggy. While being on welbutrin, you should take it in the morning as this gives you energy and makes you want to get up and do things.

I am on Prozac currently, but went to my doctor today and let him know about decreased sex drive and he suggested I try Wellbutrin in the generic form. I am to start taking 150 mg for 1 week and then 300mg. i've seen a lot of mixed responses here, but I really need to lose weight, and planned to start going to the gym anyway, so feel this will really help. Also the lack of sex drive and being able to .. finish .. has been a problem for a bit.

I've been on wellbutrin since October of 2010. I have lost a total of 55 lb. and still losing. When I first started to lose the weight everyone was accusing me of starving my self like I had an eating disorder. So frustrating ! I did not won't to eat a lot and if I did I would get very sick. I went to the doctors for my stomach they found nothing wrong with me and I could not pin point what was causing my weight loss. I was trying to connect the dots my physiatrist even thought I had an eating disorder. Then I talk to someone who had a friend that was on wellbutrin and she lost alot of weight as well. So I thought I would google it and this is what I food so many other people like me. I feel a little better about why I could be losing all this weight. Thank you

I too have gained 40 pounds on Prozac, in a year. I now will wean off Prozac, (20mg) and go on 40 mg. of Wellbutron. My face is puffy, and I too have an self concious w/the weight gain. I will try and exercise while weaning off the Prozac as this medication was for Anxiety. I feel exercise will help also with depression. My moods will have to be charted, to make sure I dont have side effects from comming off the meds. I pray Wellbutron is the right prescription, its trial and error until you find the right one.

I have been on Wellbutrin for about a year and a half (150mg twice a day). I had gained quite a bit of weight because of stress and depression prior to starting the medication. Within the first 4 months of starting the Welbutrin I lost 40 lbs and have kept it off with very little excercise and no change in my diet. I asked my doctor about it and he said that was normal due to weight loss being a very common side effect. It has been a wonder drug for me! I'm not depressed, increased libido, and weight loss. I hope that everyone has the same experience that I have had with it.

So ive been on Celexa for almost 2 months and i put on 11lbs and i noticed but when my boyfriend noticed it brought back the reason why is started a SSRI.. so i told my doc that as much as i love the Celexa it was not helping one of my biggest self problems so this morning he put me on wellbutrin to help lose some weight. like someone said before i went from sexy to gross in a short time. and with beach weather coming i really wanna enjoy it and not worry about how i look and feel. can someone juse explain from experience how wellbutrin makes you feel and if anyones taken both together??? Thanks Samantha

just an addition to the wellbutrin board....I've taken Wellbutrin XL 300mg off and on for 6 years. I suffer from depression and have always had weight issues. all other medications i tried have caused me to gain 15-25 lbs at least, but each time I take Wellbutrin I have lost 40-70 lbs. (although not all due to the meds, when I start noticing weight loss I usually start an exercise/diet program because it motivates me.) I love this medication for the weight loss, and for the complete way it changes my attitude toward things. the only downfall is the dry mouth (awful!) and the INTENSE horrible 3-10 minute long abdominal cramping I sit through every day at about 6 pm. I take my medication between 11-12 daily. otherwise I'm a happy gal =)

the drug reps all call Paxil "pack it on paxil" it increased your cortisol and makes almost everyone gain a good amount of weight

Thats the effect of the Topomax. I took it for a month and felt like my brain wasn't connecting with my mouth - it would take me a while to put words together in my brain then communicate them to my mouth to verbalize. i couldnt make out coherent phrases after two weeks on that med, and im a sales rep so you can imagine how well that went. it was awful, i didnt realize it was the topomax that was causing this till i read about it on other blogs. I was taking it as a migraine preventative but went off them after a month. the sideeffects, along with the pins/needles feeling and the hairloss from topomax werent worth it.