i have taken welbutrin XL (300 mg) for 4 months and i noticed a rapid weight loss and a marked decrease in my appetite but i think it also goes back to my depression causing me to over eat like a maniac. i lost 20 pounds in the first month and it has slowed since then, the doctor lowered my dosage for a month, and ran tests but while i was over prescribed wellbutrin i experienced the same symptoms of an overactive thyroid. since i'd been more slowly reintroduced to it my appetite is still less than what it had been, but before had been 5 years of S.A.D. so my appetite wasn't normal anyway. i like wellbutrin thus far.

I am not overweight at all, but have lost about 6-8 lbs in a month on Wellbutrin. I just generally feel better and more in control of my life. I don't feel so overwhelmed which happens easily when u work full time are married and have a 2 year old. Before, I had zero motivation, now I feel so much more like myself! I was on it for awhile before I got pregnant, but went off during my pregnancy and never went back on until now. Don't know why I waited so long.

I do have some side effects, but I kinda like them. I am not hungry ever and I can control what I eat, don't feel the need to eat my whole meal, and don't snack. I don't sleep much, but enjoy all that I get done. I do notice I fight more with my husband, but I think it's because I feel like I can stand up for myself instead of letting him get his way all the time. He really is a spoiled brat and gets his way ALL the time. That's another issue! Anyhow, I like Wellbutrin and don't want to go off it! I take the 300mg XL

The other thing I should mention is that I don't like the generic, it doesn't seem to have the same effects- loss of appetite, dry mouth, lack of sleep. but it also doesn't seem to make me feel any better emotionally!

I have been taking Wellbutrin for about 3 weeks now. I am taking it for other reasons than weight loss, that would take too long to explain. I have had some weight loss. But I am also working out 5 days a week at the gym and watching my diet. I have the problem of the dry mouth more than anything. I had problems sleeping at first and I asked the pharmacist about and he said to take your first pill early in the day, which I took at 9 and then take your second pill EXACTLY eight hours later. Once I started doing that, I had no problems sleeping. I cant say that it has changed my appetite. But does anyone have problems swallowing?

Emmafrost. I am like that normally and the combination of 10mg lexapro and 300mg wellbutrin works good for me. maybe you have to be a satanspawn psyco for wellbutrin to agree with you lol. Ive lost a little weight without really changing my lifestyle much. I plan on trying a lifestyle change to lose more weight. XD

Is anyone on the generic wellbutrin meds??????
If so how is that one working for you all??
I have been reading and i keep hearing how the generic is less effective then the real Wellbutrin?????? Help!!!!!

I just started Wellbutrin XL 300 mg 3 days ago. It's actually the generic form "Bupropion HCL CL". So far after 3 doses, I feel a little nervous, loss for words a lot, spacey, little bit of dry mouth, somewhat of a loss of appetite. I am wondering too if the generic brand isn't as effective. Will update more. BTW- I am taking it to help cope with anxiety....

Hello everyone! I am also taking Wellbutrin - but am taking the generic brand. I just started my second month yesterday (Sunday), weighed myself this morning, and have already lost 13 lbs. The side effects that I notice are: weight loss, decrease in appetite, slight headaches, dry mouth, and increased snapping & annoyance! LOL

When I started the pills, my doctor told me there was a chance I would lose some weight as it has been a side effect for other people. I didn't pay it any attention because I didn't think I would be one of those people. I didn't even know I lost any weight (because I can't tell at all) until I went in for a physical last week and my doctor yelled at me that I had lost 10 lbs since the previous month's visit. Just a week later, and I've lost another 3lbs.

I'm taking Wellbutrin for depression and I am loving the weight loss side effect as I think my weight issues are a HUGE factor in my depression. Like someone mentioned in an earlier post, I think this drug was designed to target weight loss because weight issues tend to be a factor with some people dealing with depression.

As for the difference between the generic & the real thing - I don't know because I haven't tried the real thing. I guess that is something that someone will have to try on their own and see how it effects them. I do realize that I have been snapping a lot more lately, but I just attributed that to my demeanor! LOL I'll speak to my doctor about it. My appetite has been lacking, but I am not complaining about it. Like someone else mentioned, I am working on changing my lifestyle as far as eating goes to aid me in continuing to lose weight.

By the way, I am on the low dosage of 150mg.

~T

I was on Wellbutrin about a year ago, and lost about ten pounds. I was one of the lucky people that didn't have a single side effect EXCEPT for the weight loss. I just recently went back on - we'll see how it goes.

hi all... i fell into a deep depression hole in early December '07 and my doc prescribed 25 mg's of paxil... i know these meds can take a few weeks to become effective, but after a couple of weeks of not feeling anything except a *complete* loss of sexual appetite and function I went back to my doc and asked if there was anything else i could take that a t least wouldn't have such a drastic effect on that.

he put me on 300 mg's of wellbutrin and told me i could start taking it while slowly reducing the paxil. i did some online research (like i did just now and found this thread) and learned that wellbutrin and paxil are often prescribed together--one to balance the other. one woman said she was doing well with her first 150 mg's of wellbutrin in the morning, the other one 6 hours later in early afternoon and then the paxil in the evening, since it will help with sleeping.

so i went with that plan except that i am adding ambien cr to ensure that i get enough sleep. so far so good, and i have lost 4 pounds so far (2 weeks). get this--i ate tons of fattening food over christmas and didn't gain a pound. instead i lost! i think i'm liking this wellbutrin. well, i wish i didn't have to be on anything, but if i'm going to be on anti-depressants i'll take weight loss over weight gain--THAT's for sure. hopefully i'll lose a few more pounds and be right where i want to be. :-)

as for other side effects, i do feel a little jittery sometimes but also have more energy and just plain feel better. me doc prescribed klonopin for anxiety should i get too stressed and need to calm down. i have had to use that less and less as the wellbutrin has settled in more.

and that's my story.

cheers!

found this site today while looking to see if weight loss was noticeable with 300 mg wellbutrin.........Im coming off of Cymbalta 60 mg and having to take 30 mg Cymbalta and 150 mg wellbutrin for a month and then 300 mg wellbutrin from then on......
thanks for the postings from you guys.........

I have been on wellbutrin XL since 10/15/08. I started at a weight of 165 and today I am 136 (01/15/09). I am a 5' 10" female. I feel great.

I was binge eating during my depression and ballooned to 201 May 2008. Anyway, its helped with my depression, food cravings, weight loss.

Love it!

I was on wellbutrin (generic form) 2 years ago and i dropped weight fairly quick..i didn't know it was the wellbutrin I had started a new very physical job and i thought thats what was doing it...I started having alot of memory loss, couldn't finish sentences etc...anyhow the dr took me off wellbutrin after being on it a year and put me on lexapro... gained all the weight back plus some! I went from 135 to 169 pretty quick...
I just started back on the wellbutrin 4 days ago and im already down 4 lbs....Im feeling great more energetic, i actually want to get out of bed and do stuff now...I actually stopped today and went for a walk on the beach! a week ago I never could have done that!

Guest wrote:

I was recently perscribed Wellbutrin as well as Topamax for bi-polar disorder. 300mg Wellbutrin 200mg Topamax. I can see why that stuff makes you loose weight. A. I don't think I eat half what I used too and B. I just went 48 hours without sleeping, and popped up this morning like my microwave oven *ding* after 8 hours and cleaned my house. I feel great. Bad thing is I spent half of that 48 hours up trying to find words to say stuff and I'm not sure how I'm going to go back to my job as a call center rep next week. It took me a half hour to do this post. Does anyone else have this problem?

When I was on 300 mg of Wellbutrin it gave me a really bad stuttering problem (which I had never had before). I went completely off the meds which was a huuge mistake b/c the depression came back with a vengeance. I'm now on 150 mg of wellbutrin and 50 of dopamax (to help with headaches). I also take xanax as needed for anxiety. This seems to be the perfect mix for me.

I started Wellbutrin XL today (generic form) 150 mg for an eating disorder with binging and purging. I have the binging and purging under control so the psychiatrist stated that the Wellbutrin XL was safe but I am still nervous - has anyone else been in the same situation?

In addition, does the generic version of the XL still have the same weight loss as the regular version? I am trying to be careful about the weight loss since I am already on Topamax and Prozac for the eating disorder.

I was on Effexor before and gained about 30 pounds after losing 30 on weight watchers. This led me to get depressed more than before. My doctor recently put me on Welbutrin 150mg for depression and also weight loss.I am also doing weight watchers again I hope it works!!! %-)