Hi, I have e friend who has a problem. He was diagnosed with diabetes type one. He explained to me what does that mean and what he has to do in order to take care of his health. It seems that he has another problem beside this. He is over-sweating but we do not know what is causing it. Can you answer me this question: are diabetes and sweating related?

Hi, it is very nice of you to look after your friend. I must say that you are doing a wonderful thing. And to answer your question sweating and diabetes are related. Diabetes is a direct cause of over-sweating. I guess that your friend experiences a specific type of sweating called gustatory sweating. This means that he is sweating on one side of his face while he eats. Unfortunately, the cause for this reaction is not yet determined. The only thing that the doctors are sure of is that gustatory sweating occurs in people with severe kidney or nerve damage. Therefore, this kind of condition is very likely to appear at people that have diabetes, are at risk of having diabetes or have a family history of diabetes. Your friend should talk to the doctor about this problem so that he can advise him for the best product that can help him diminish over-sweating. But, because his sweating is a sign that his condition might be getting worse, maybe you should talk to him about this, in my opinion, more serious problem.

People, I'm no doctor, not even a nurse's assistant or medical billing specialist, but I can tell you to please ignore "Michaeline's" post stating, "diabetes is a direct cause of over-sweating."  Causation 101?  Then the post goes on to describe a condition where a person may sweat after eating on one side of the face.  Huh?

"Gustatory" sweating may or may not be real, but the question just ask why GENERALLY a friend who has diabetes sweats, without giving any real details.  There are tons of reasons why the friend sweats... nondiabetes and diabetes related.

Assuming it is indeed diabetes-related, more common explanations are: (1) he sweats because his blood glucose level is rapidly falling (possibly because he waited too long to eat after insulin-admin); (2) his blood glucose was already low, and eating has given it a quick rise, causing the sweating (happens to me); or (3) he didn't bother to take any insulin because he was too embarrassed, forgot it, or it would have caused too much disruption to take it (or, he's just not on any and has Type 2), so the food is making his blood glucose level majorly spike, with all that glucose just building up in the blood with no relief as he first breaks down the sugars into simple glucose, then the carbohydrates catch up and turn into glucose, and still later fat/lipids can convert into glucose, or the stomach can clear the fat, releasing all the carbs/sugars/glucose that got stuck behind it in a final glucose-wave.

Further assuming he neglects to take insulin over the years, even if down the line he shapes up and begins taking adequate insulin, there may already be so much nerve damage related to the stomach / sweat glands that he will sweat regardless (but not MERELY because he is eating).

Any of the theories I listed above are infinitely better suited to answer this question than "gustatory sweating w severe kidney/nerve damage" listed by "Michaeline."  That person is either a foreign trained doctor failing to use English and English medical terminology correctly, is just messing around, is a bot, or is a"journalist"-type who thinks they can master any subject through a google search paste-and-copy random c**p together.  That is why the internet is filled with so much general, watered-down, c**p.  You can find a million websites that say the same 5 things about diabetes (eg, "people with diabetes must watch their weight and exercise regularly, while eating healthy foods...").  But to find one website - just one - that chooses one diabetes topic and goes into utter-depth on the subject is beyond google, a flaw inherent in its popularity/keyword frequency relevancy determination equation.