Hi, I was diagnosed with diabetes type 1 when I was eleven years old. I wasn't very aware of the situation at the time, but now I know exactly what I am dealing with. I am very careful when it comes to my insulin injections and my diet. I also work out regularly. In general, I lead a very healthy life. However, I fear this is not enough. Sometimes I think about the complications from diabetes type 1. How long can I avoid coronary and kidney complications? I am now twenty three years old.

Hi, I can see you are very informed about your condition. You take type 1 diabetes very seriously and this is the proper way to approach the situation. By leading a healthy life you are prolonging it and postponing the diabetes complications from occurring. It is true that type 1 diabetes patients usually experience heart and blood vessels complications as well as some kidney conditions. It seems to me you are doing everything in your power to prevent these situations. But, I have to say you sound like you are experiencing another complication of type 1 diabetes and that is depression. You are thinking too much about your condition, there is more to life than diabetes. I can understand you are worried, but while worrying about what might go wrong you are missing out on the good stuff in life. You are young, there is so much you could do, but to spend your time thinking about the worst. If you continue to apply the measures you have talked about, you have nothing to worry about. Try to enjoy life a bit.