Hi, My boyfriend is a type 1 diabetic. I feel I need to know as much as I can for this subject. I have tried to it up... But it's never what I'm looking for. I really need help. We are planning to go on a date soon and I am worried that something might happen and I won't know what to do. Please try to include what to have on hand with you and emergency tips. Thank-you.

Okay, I have been type 1 going on 19 years now. So, depending on where your date is will help to yell you what to have with u. First and foremost, he needs to carry his glucometer. Testing his blood sugar will let you know if he needs insulin ( if his blood sugar is over 200 I'd say he needs insulin) or if he is experiencing a low blood sugar ( in which case he will need something with sugar in it to raise the blood sugar to safe level) also, it could be within his set target range for blood sugar and he will be fine. U should male sure he has his insulin with him. Whether he takes individual injections or uses an insulin pump yr bf needs to have fast acting insulin around. On the reciprocal of that one of you needs to have something " sweet" on hand. If u notice he seems to be lathargic,  very thirsty, urinating lots he needs insulin. If yr bf looks scared all of the sudden or breaks out in a cold sweat and is shaking get him sugar asap.

Hope this sheds some light on everything for you.

One last thing enjoy the date.

Hi... you've probably gone on your date already, but here's my two cents., as a Type 1 diabetic...

it's nice that you want to be informed and prepared in case something happens, but really, he should be in control of his diabetes. Ask HIM where he keeps his glucose tabs (or if he carries an emergency snack). Ask him if he ever passes out or has seizures, and what to do in those situations. It's not your job to take care of his diabetes - it's his. He should be one sharing this info with you.