Hi, I am six months pregnant. For the last few weeks I have been having these strange symptoms. After performing some tests my doctor told me that I have gestational diabetes type 1. He explained the changes I will have to make on order to have as normal pregnancy as possible and to deliver a healthy baby. What I am wondering is will the gestational diabetes type 1 go away after the child birth, or will it stay for good?

Hi, I am sorry to hear you develop diabetes during your pregnancy. However, I did not quite understand what you mean under gestational diabetes type 1. Diabetes that starts during pregnancy is called gestational diabetes. This kind of condition is provoked by the placental hormones. Due to their activities you have become resistant to insulin. Because of this, your pancreas starts to produce even more insulin, but it doesn't help. The glucose can travel to placenta and to cause problems for your baby. Gestational diabetes usually goes away after the pregnancy. Diabetes type 1 is a different condition. People with this condition do not produce insulin at all, due to the damage done to the pancreatic cells that produce this hormone. Sometimes, diabetes type 1 is discovered during pregnancy. If this is your case, the diabetes will not go away after the pregnancy. You should talk to your doctor and tell him to explain what did he meant when he diagnosed you with gestational diabetes type 1.