hello, I have type 1 diabetes and my doctor has recommended that I now start taking gliclazide. has any one got any experience of this medication, I would like to know what to expect when I start taking this. Please let me know of your experiences with gliclazide.

It is interesting that you are type 1 diabetic and your doctor wants to put you on gliclazide.  I say that because gliclazide will not work in your situation.  Does he want to prescribe this medication as "off-label?"  This is when a medication is prescribed for something that it isn't typically prescribed for.  I know that Metformin (another diabetic medication) is prescribed for type 1 diabetics because of some research has shown it improves insulin sensitivity and subjects reduced their BMI from being on it.  It resulted in the patients needing less insulin.  Is this what your doctor is striving to do?  Does he have research to back up his use of gliclazide for type 1 patients?

Gliclazide is usually prescribed to people who have type 2 diabetes as it is a insulin sensitising medication. This means it stimulates the pancreas to release more insulin. sometimes people with type 2 diabetes have to take insulin and this is where the confusion can arise between type 1 and type 2 diabetes, as usually insulin usage is associated with type 1 diabetes. Do you take insulin, if not then I would suggest you talk to your doctor about what type of diabetes you have.

I guess your doctor has no idea what  he is doing. Sorry to be so direct, but that's really wrong. Treatment for type 1 is insulin certainly not glicazide. Or maybe you are type 2? If you are type 2 this can be a choice after you have tried metformin. Or can be first choice if you have contra indications for metformin. You have to be aware that with glicazide there's a risk of hypoglycemia, low blood sugar. But to be sure if you understood wrong or he did something wrong I advise you to call him back and figure this out.