I'm very upset. Since 2007 when I had my diabetes diagnosed , I'm type 2, I measure my bg. If gives me good and safe feeling especially when I will be taking my car and drive for some hours, or when I'm going for a long walk. I use a low dose of sulfonylurea since 2010, and I have had hypoglycemia once when I started using it. It was so scary that I don't want this to ever happen again! Last week I went to my GP and she said she will no longer prescribe lancets and strips for me anymore. She said I'm type 2 and there is no need for it. I'm so afraid of having again hypoglycemia. My question is can my GP refuse to prescribe sundries for my BG meter?

Yes, she can. It is not what you would like to hear but it is the truth. Actually if you are not experiencing hypoglycemia, which actually you are not since 2010, and even if you take sulfonylurea which potentially can cause hypoglycemia, she can follow you just with HbA1c.She is also following the guidelines for diabetes control. What I would suggest to you if you can't afford yourself strips to you when you want is to be even more careful not to have hypoglycemia's and have always with you glucose gel. I don't think you will use, but you will be less scared not to be able to react quickly in the case that you start feeling not well. Something else also is if you suspect that something can be hypoglycemia (strange headache, extremely hungry, sweats,...) drink a juice immediately or have a cookie, it won't bring your blood glucose every high but it will be enough to avoid a bad hypoglycemia. Good luck!

That is perplexing that your GP will not prescribe your any lancets or strips anymore. Did you tell her of the hypoglycemia you had experienced? You actually do not need a prescription to get the lancets or the test strips, however, a prescription is needed for insurance to cover it. If you cannot afford the test strips on your own, maybe you can find a different doctor to go to for your diabetic therapy. If you are on a antiglycemic med, you should be watching your blood sugars. Your doctor may not be familiar with diabetes as he/she should. Change GPs.