my doctor has changed ny metformin from avandia to actos. what is the difference between these and why has my doctor changed them?

I am a little confused by your sentence, but I think it should read that you are on metformin but used to be on avandia and actos?  Avandia and actos have both been taken off the market.  They caused severe problems in patients that warranted their removal.  Avandia caused many cardiovascular issues leading to heart attacks.  Actos was found to cause bladder cancer in many of patients that took it.  Metformin is the safest medication on the market today that won't cause hypoglycemia and works well for many diabetic patients.  You should find that it will improve your blood sugar and improve your insulin sensitivity.

Avandia metformin and actos metformin are both combinations of drugs. Avandia is a preparation of metformin and rosiglitazone, whilst actos is a preparation of metformin and pioglitazone. Both rosiglitazone and pioglitazone are known as a class of drugs called thiazolidinediones.
Avandia improves insulin sensitivity by increasing insulin activity within the adipose tissue, skeletal muscle and liver. However this drug is now restricted to patients who can not control their diabetes by any other medication. It is interesting to note that Avandia has lost its licence in the UK (2010) due to research which found that it can increase heart problems.
Actos works by enhancing the effect of circulating insulin and reduces hepatic glucose output.
If you are concerned by the change in your medication it may be worth talking to your doctor regarding the pros and cons as they relate to you.