Hello everyone, It seems that depending on where I read I'm finding different BG numbers that are considered healthy for fasting levels and post-prandial levels. For example, type 2s should should for a fasting Bg level somewhere between 5.2 and 7.2 and stay somewhere between 6.5 and 10 two hours after a meal. My question is: what are the ranges that you aim for? I realize that these ranges will vary for different individuals but there should be a happy medium somewhere. Currently, I try to to keep my fasting level at 6.5 or below and 7.8 or below for the two hour post-prandial and so far I'm doing pretty well. What do you do? Thanks.

Hello, First off, what you aim for depends on your situation and your target range is generally determined by your doctor. Remember, your home meter can be off as much as 20 percent which is considerable so you need to keep that in mind. I'm to understand that many diabetic individuals try to keep their BG between 3.85 mmol/l and 7.15 mmol/l or say (4 mmol/l and 7 mmol/l) which ranges between 70 mg/dl and 130 mg/dl in U.S. units before meals. Two hours post-prandial, many people aim for something under 9.9 mmol/l or 180 mg/dl. Since your fasting BG runs between 6.5 or below and your two hour post-prandial runs 7.8 or below, you would seem to be in a reasonable zone for healthy BG control. I'm a type 2 and my fasting levels run around 5 to 6 and my two hour post-prandial averages around 8 which I consider pretty good and my doctor is happy with that. I've been fortunate from the beginning. I really didn't have any trouble stabilizing my BG levels as I was diagnosed early and initially was able to take care of things with diet and exercise. Eventually, I did have to go on insulin but all I needed was basal and that really made things simple. I've had type 2 for almost twenty years now.

If I understood well you are a type 2? What was said before is very important: your targets should be the ones you have agreed with your doctor. But most of the type 2 don't have so strict targets and mainly they don't even control pre and post meal that frequently. If you are a type 2 your control will be mostly based on your HbA1c and be asked to control your BG just if you are experiencing hypoglycemia with some medication or if your hbA1c comes very high. If you are a type 1 is even more important the advice you got before about talking to your doctor. It depends on your hypoglycemia risks and complications the target you will get. also during pregnancy, disease, sport moments your targets will be changed.

It would be advisable to keep your blood glucose levels below 7.0 if at all possible during the fasting state. Anything above that is in the diabetic range so it would be healthier to shoot for 6.9 and less for fasting. You can go up past that for two hour post prandial, but no more than 10. It sounds like you are doing pretty well for your after meal blood sugars. Fasting sounds great at well so you should give yourself a pat on the back for what you have done for your diabetes. I would say definitely keep up what you are doing because it is working!