Hi, my uncle was acting depressively since his wife died. Several times he told us that he doesn’t see point of his further living and that he will commit suicide. I was thinking this is just depressive episode which will pass but last week he tried to kill him self by taking sleeping pills. He was transferred to the hospital and doctor told us next day that he is suffering from depression with psychotic features. I would like to know something more about this disorder

Hi, I have to disappoint you and share my experience with you. My step father suffered from the same sort of mental disorder. This is one of the hardest mental disorders which is very dangerous for the person who is experiencing it same as for people in his surrounding. These persons are aggressive, suicidal and difficult to be put under control.
They also have hallucinations and poor judgment. They often have to be sent to electro convulsive therapy.

I don't agree with this completely. I have depression with psychotic features and I am not dangerous to anyone but myself. And it is serious but it can be treated. Your uncle may have some underlying dementia so he should see a geriatric psychiatrist. Hospital stays are longer for this, I have been in for 6 weeks at a time, but I currently am pretty well control with only some minor delusions, like thinking my house has diseappeared, and the occasional hallucination decreased to just hearing my name. I work full time as a nurse. It isn't necessarily something that is incurable or uncontrollable. Good luck to your uncle.