Hey there. My best friend is having a problem with her dog. He is nervous all the time, and she told me that the sound of her dog scratching and licking himself is really irritating, but she doesn’t know what to do. Whenever she wants to come close to him, he starts to bark and she can’t help him. When she started to talk to me about this, I told her that this could be a rash. But, I don’t have that much experience with it and I don’t know how to help her. I was wondering, can you tell me what are symptoms of dog skin rash?

I really want to help her. 

It is really weird because dog won’t let her come close to him. I am not really sure why this happens. Now, about the rash, there are many reasons, because dogs can have some allergic reactions to some grooming products, even food, some of them can have some environmental irritations, etc. So, if dog is having some allergies, the skin often reveals an ugly rash. Dog skin rash can have many potential causes. But, first things that she needs to do is to see does it look red or swollen. Those are first signs of rash, and if her dog has this, she needs to react. 

I think I can help you. There are a lot of symptoms of dog skin rash and they can be different from dog to dog. However, there are some typical symptoms that almost every dog with skin rash has.

The most common symptom is itchiness. You will notice this easily because dogs are very nervous when they feel itchiness and they lick that part of their body.

Another common symptom is hot spots. Their skin is red or pink, hot and painful on these parts.

Some other common symptoms are: hair falling from those areas where the hot spots are, constant licking, face rubbing…

His behavior is indicating that he has some sort of the skin problem. She must take him to the vet as soon as possible. The skin rash can be a very benign problem, but it can also be signal for something similar as yeast infection or folliculitis. Luckily, today these illnesses are relatively easily treated.

Like others said, it is very odd that dog is so nervous. I don’t want to scare you but it can be a sign of possible dangerous condition so that is why visiting the veterinarian is mandatory. I really hope his condition isn’t very serious.

She did it. She came close to her pet, but he still was nervous. She told me that he didn’t even sleep last night. So, early this morning, she was taking him to the vet. There was some very young vet, and he told her that this is just some ordinary rash. He gave her some powder, I don’t know which one, and he told her that this will be OK.

But, still, nothing. The dog is still nervous, he is jumping in the house all the time, he is really insupportable.. Is it possible that the vet made a mistake? 

Probably not. Even though it was a young vet and I am familiar with how often they make mistakes (on a daily basis if you ask me), I’m still pretty sure he made the right diagnosis.

Everything that you’ve told us suggests that it’s a rash. And rashes are so easy to diagnose that I think even a dog owner (who has had a dog for more than a few years) could easily recognize it when he/ she sees it on the dog’s skin.I could recognize it without doubt. So, just try not to blame it on the vet, I’m sure that if she follows his advice her dog will be better soon.

This sounds like a rash to me too, given the symptoms you described. I think your friend should have some faith in the vet, regardless of age they are trained to diagnose such things. Of course, the powder might not show signs of curing the problem immediately, but given time I think the dog will show signs of healing. A friend of mine once had a similar issue, although his dog did allow him to check his skin more willingly. It turned out to be a rash of some sort, and after a week there didn't seem to be any unusual scratching or licking from the dog, he seemed perfectly fine.

It is definitely a rash, but now you need to find out what is causing this rash. It is really annoying for a dog, I really do know from my own experience. I don’t think that vet could make a mistake, but if you really want to, you can ask for some other vet’s opinion. Maybe he will find a solution for this. But, you didn’t tell us one really important thing – how this spot, where is he scratching himself, looks? Maybe according to this we will able to help you.

There are so many cures for rash, but I don’t know what to suggest since I don’t know is this a rash or not….