Good day. I have female dog. She is five months old. I know that very soon I can expect her to come in the heat. But I am worried about one thing. I am not sure will I be able to recognize symptoms of dog in heat since there are so many of them. I was reading a little bit about it and all I saw were some days, 21 day heat cycle etc. I can’t understand it. All that I really want to know is what are the symptoms of dog in heat? How to recognize when dog is I heat? Is it hard to recognize it? Thank you!

Hey three Bree :)

There are several ways to tell if your dog is in heat. During this period your female dog is very nervous and it is more alert than she is usual. She also may urinate more often than she normally dos.

Changes in her behavior are also caused by heat. This is caused by a shift in her hormone balance.

Also, vulva discharge is blood – tinged and her vulva is going to be swollen as well.

She is definitely going to try to run away from you and your house, so you need to be prepared to it.

Hello. Here are some other indicators that your dog is in heat. Appetite changes means that your dog is going through some process of his life. Maybe she is going to become hungrier than before. Swelling of your dog’s vulva is also the symptom. Vulva swelling sometimes is noticeable. Bloody discharge can last for a couple of days and even weeks. Also tail trucking is the result of heat. My friend’s dog used to eat from the garbage can all the time when she was in heat. I don’t know why. Running away from home is something that they do all the time during this process.

It is easily noticeable when a female dog is in heat. First of all, she will change her temper. My female dog for example refuses to cuddle with me during those periods even though she is very cuddly and is usually seeking for attention. And while in heat, she keeps running away and she never does that.

Her vulva does get swollen, I know because a vet noticed it once when I took her at the clinic while in heat, and he asked if she is in heat. I, on the other hand don’t see any difference. It does not look swollen to me.

Hello there friends :)

My friend is having a dog and right now she is in heat. I went to visit her yesterday and her dog was so annoying. She tried to hump me as well lol :

After that she was so loud, she was running around the house and then she was so calm, sitting near the window and watching around.

When I was going home I wanted to say goodbye to her, but she run away and she was hiding until I left.

I think that this is very hard period for everyone. I don’t know how to deal with it.

Hey guys,

I have a German Spitz and so far I had never had a problem with her running away from my house. It is something that happens to male dogs, but not to female ones. 

Oh trust me, you are going to notice when she gets in heat. If your dog is a small breed dog, she is going to became extra sensitive to everything. She's going to have something like a period in women, leaving a blood trail from time to time. She is going to lick her vulva very often and if there are male dogs anywhere close to her, they will try to jump her immediately.

Hey everyone,

Dog in heat is something that you cannot miss, believe me.

I thought my little fury friend was the best dog I knew, well mannered and well behaved. When she got in heat for the first time, if a male dog would approach her, she would just turn her behind to him so can jump her more easily.

I felt embarrassed at the beginning, but later I found out that they all do this when they are in heat. I didn't have a problem with her running away either, and she did always want to cuddle with me, although she would almost immediately start to lick her vulva.

@rubylock you are so wrong, you have no idea.

When my dog is in heat (and she is a female) I keep her in her room,  I don’t let her go all around the house because she messes up my carpet and then I need to clean it.

Anyway, I keep her in her room which has wooden door. The door is not ordinary, it is a bit smaller and when she was little she could easily crawl under the door when she wants out.

Last time she was in heat she actually CHEW the door till she made enough space for her to crawl under.

And then she ran away.

@Dalmatian_lover Hahahah ! :D Been there, done that.
We locked the front door while my Hanna was in heat, so she managed to climb the stairs and go to the room where my sister sleeps. Then she pushed the window and somehow succeeded to jump through the window and land safe on the ground. The window is not so high, but high enough for her to get hurt.
My sister heard her but it was too late. She ran to the window to see if she was hurt, but she saw her running away towards our neighbour’s yard.
No need to mention that he has three adult male dogs.