A friend of mine told me that she is actually a histrionic patient. I have to admit that it is not strange she was diagnosed with some behavioral problem, but I also admit that I don't know anything about this condition. What is the defensive mechanism, can it be treated, and how dangerous it actually is? Can you tell me anything about it?

Histrionic disorder might be very complex illness, even though the patients look and behave normal to some point. Their defensive mechanism is based on blaming others for all the failures in their life. They like to manipulate and be in the center of attention. The symptoms are also different in men and women. As for the treatment, there is no exact cure; all sorts of therapies and meds are used, depending on the symptoms.

Hello there,

If you have managed to stay friend with her all this time than it is best to continue like you did till this point of your friendship. If you try to look for signs and symptoms of the disorder you will find they and it will become annoying to you, probably and this could influence your friendship.

Because symptoms sometimes can be very annoying it would be wise to cut her slack sometimes when she is going on your nerves and unfortunately there is no cure for this condition so keep that in mind as well.

She is on therapy and medications and this is common procedure for the most of the mental and behavioral disorders.