Hello! I am Ban and I am a student. I really like psychology and we have an excellent professor who makes this class even more interesting. I couldn’t attend his classes last week since I had flu and my classmates told me he mentioned capgras delusion. I have never heard about it neither my classmates know anything about it. What's a capgras delusion?

Hello! The Capgras delusion is rather rare disorder in which a person holds a delusional belief that a close family member (usually a spouse) has been replaced by an identical looking impostor. The Capgras delusion belongs to the class of delusional beliefs that involves the misidentification of people or places and it is often called delusional misidentification syndrome. It usually occurs in patients diagnosed with schizophrenia and it may be acute, transient or chronic. Joseph Capgras was a French psychiatrist who first described this disorder, so it was named after him.