I have a girlfriend who is Russian. She wants to swim during the winter! Now she invites me to join her. Can you imagine?! Swimming in the sea while the temperature is close to zero doesnt sound like a good time to me. Well, I do not want to look like a wimp so I am giving it a serious thought. Are there any adverse effects of physical fitness training with winter seawater swimming on the body?

Oh, the things we do for loveWell, many people think of winter swimming as the Russians frolics - breaking the ice in park ponds and enjoying a swim in mid winter when air temperatures are well below zero. You will be surprised to learn that there are many swimmers here in the United States, Great Britain and the rest of the Europe who do just that. Also it has been confirmed that shifts in thermoregulation of the body leading to increased resistance to diseases were recorded in persons active in winter swimming in sea water. In plain English, those who practice winter swimming sickness usually have many times less chance of getting cold-type diseases, as well as other diseases. Winter swimming is used for therapeutic reasons as a method to heal many diseases, including radiculitis, both high and low blood-pressure, etc. If you plan to do so, you have to check with your doctor first. Then you should see a good trainer or experienced swimmer for tips and suggestions how to train for it.