I am not a competitive swimmer and I do not intend to become one. However, I like to swim and would like to continue doing it for the health reasons. I would like to improve my overall fitness and form. Swimming seems like a perfect choice to me. Here is a fitness swimming question: how do I become more fit by swimming?

Good choice. Swimming is one of the most comprehensive and complete exercises. Almost every muscle in your body is thoroughly trained when you swim. As for the fitness question, you will become more fit if you train on a regular basis. Don’t skip the workouts and get plenty of rest between them. Start slowly and gradually work up to the more advanced levels.

Looks like your question thing at the end of the post worked. Also not having to sign in is nice too. Good job. Nice list. Thanks.

Swimming like running is all about distance vs intensity.
If you want to burn fat I would recommend you go for intensity, but I would have to recommend going for distance for beginner swimmers just so that you can get use to the water and tone your body to it. Distance is good for toning and endurance (you can't just go really slow you still have to push your self going about 60-70% for about 1 mile). While intensity if good for burning fat and getting cut.

i have a question along the lines of this post....is it good to do sort of an interval workout when swimming? I did freestyle hard one way then breaststroke easy the way back. Good idea or just do one the whole way?