Tomorrow I start my swimming.

Any advice to make my time as productive as possible? I know just the very basics about swimming, so any info is appreciated. How do I tie this in with my running~anything I need to know there?

Also--how do you guys feel about vitamins? Are there any that are better than others? I've heard vit E is especially good, but what do you guys think?
Should I be concentrating on iron since I don't eat lots of meat? Does running increase my needs for more kinds of vitamins?

Good luck with your swimming. I don't swim much so I can't help you there.

As far as vitamins go... I would recommend taking at least a good multivitamin, especially if you are not getting what your body needs through your diet. The key to vitamin's is how easily they are absorbed into you system. I have taken some in the past and it seems like they just pasted through.

The theory behind vitamins and exercise recovery (as far as I understand it) is that exercise, especially running, creates free radicals (not like the ones from the 60's although just as harmful ;) ) in our body. These free radicals (FR) are thought to be a contributor to cancers and other diseases. Antioxidants like Vit C & E come in and neutralize these FRs. It is believed that these antioxidants will also help reduce post exercise soreness, whether it is true or just in my head I find that to be true.

That is how I understand it. Remember I an not a nutrionist, and I don't even play one onthe internet. If I am wrong someone please correct me.

I agree with Running Brewer on the vitamins issue. A few more things to consider, it's almost impossible to get enough Vitamin E through dietary sources so you'll need to supplement. Use a supplement that is a non-synthetic source of vitamin E.

What are you trying to get from your swimming? Are you just cross training or would you like to become a better/faster swimmer?

Thanks guys for the responses! I never knew that about vitamins~I just know I'm overtired and wonder if I am lacking in the essentials.

I would like to become a better swimmer so my workouts are effective. I don't want it to surpass running because I love running, but the benefits from swimming are overwhelming. The breathing, the lack of strain on muscles, the gentle (yet good upper body work) My body was not proportioned correctly to be a top-placing athlete, so just bettering myself against myself is what I can hope to do.

Even some ideas so it doesn't become rote and boring--like sprints in running?? How much is too much? Can you even get too much?

My body was not proportioned correctly to be a top-placing athlete, so just bettering myself against myself is what I can hope to do. Spud Webb isn't shaped like a typical basketball player either but he seems to do pretty well. ;) Don't sell yourself short. Mental attitude and determination will get you a long way in training.

There is an endless variety of drills and swim workouts to keep you going in the pool. Staring at the black line for an hour can get pretty boring if you just do laps for the sake of laps.

I'm not a swimmer but I got some good information on vitamins from my doctor during my recent checkup. Choose a balanced muliple vitamin/mineral supplement rather than a specific vitamin or mineral unless one is prescribed by your doctor. Too much of any one vitamin or mineral may be toxic and can interfere with the body's ability to use other vitamins and minerals. Choose a supplement that provides about 100% of the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for vitamins and minerals. Avoid taking much more than 100% of the RDA for any vitamin or mineral. This is particularly important for the fat soluable vitamins A,D,E, and K and for minerals. Because they are stored in the body, large doeses can build up to toxic levels.

Spud Webb isn't shaped like a typical basketball player either but he seems to do pretty well. ;) Don't sell yourself short. Mental attitude and determination will get you a long way in training.
Yeah, now put breasts and hips on Spud and see how high he jumps!
And Larry, thanks for your advice, too. I love OJ so I know I'm getting a boatload of Vit. C.
Went swimming--yikes! Will there ever be a time where I'm NOT using new muscles? I didn't swim very many laps, but my muscles are telling me I did something. I even got to use the hot tub-- :fubby:
Thanks for all your help--I'm passing the vitamin info over to my hub because I know he can use the advice, too.

I have wondered about this. I have heard that you shouldn't exceed more than 400I.U. of Vit E per day, but I was under the impression that it was for seditary people, not athletes. I know that I consume way more than 100% of a lot of vitamins. The thing to keep in mind is that your body may not absorb all of this...

Hang in there. Once you get your form down better things won't be so hard. It's not like running where bad form really doesn't hurt a performance that much. In swimming, form is everything.

The Total Immersion web site has some good books/videos available on it too.

I swim once a week (Friday morning) hope to get a few days in but for now I do what I can. I have no real goal in mind, I just enjoy swimming because of the lack of stress on the feet, knees, and hips. I am working on getting my times down a little.

I take Twinlab's Supertwin everday, prolly a little overkill but I at least know I am getting what my body needs on a daily basis.

I also take a 1000 mg Calcium supplement with the MV.

I was a swimmer in hs and I still love it! You're right....the benefits are fabulous if you're using it for cross training. My favorite has always been backstroke because you can breathe easier. Try that if you haven't, you'll be amazed how far you can swim that way.

Since you're not tri training and can actually kick when you swim, kickboard drills can be fun and for me they were kinda like speedwork. Grab a board and do repeats up and back, kicking like hell, as hard as you can, it's harder than it sounds. I haven't been really consistent lately but I saw some gains in leg strength when I was doing them once or twice a week (I used to swim 3-4 times a week when my training was more regular). What really helped, I noticed, a nice swim was a great recovery day after the long run, and a good warm up the day before. I always run better the day after a swim.