My coach has me doing a lot of IM's in my swimming. I think it has increased my interest in the pool and I thin that i have been getting faster because of it. Working on something other than the ordinary free stroke has given me something to push for.

Does anybody else do other then free in the pool? Has it helped your free times? what do you find to be the hardest stroke?

Me, I find the breast the hardest and I really enjoy the butterfly. Even though I suck at it, barely making it 50 yds without being totally spent, I find it challenging and exciting.

Sheldon

I've just started doing other strokes in my workout. Right now, I like to mix in the backstroke and it does seem to help my freestyle out a little.

I haven't even come close to performing a breaststroke or fly. Maybe I can work on those over late fall/winter. :|

I usually just do free. Some workouts the master's coach suggested back just to balance out the muscle groups.

I can barely do free and they go downhill from there. My 7 y/o daughter can already match me in 25 yd free and kick my butt in everything else

I really enjoy the swim workouts and would like to work on (learn) the other strokes. I just don't won't to jeopardize the time I put into freestyle.

I thought the same way when I first started to do them, then I was looking forward to the sets that have me doing something other than drill or pull or kick. :? My last workout: 500 w/u 5x500 as: 1) 10x50 free on 10 sr 2-3) 500 pull. 4) 5x100 IM on 15sr. 5) 500 free easy All with 1 minute rest between sets. c/d 500 choice. It was a really enjoyable workout. I learned a lot. Sometimes you need the breast to site the buoy, the butterfly is for beach starts, and the back...water in the goggles, or heaven forbid you freak and need to get some air. I have been working on my beach starts with the butterfly and I can get out past the breakers a lot faster that way. Sheldon

I'm a swimmer on a swim team ((and have been for some time)). We do IMs a lot and yes it does help your free times, but of course nothing helps your free times more than just swimming freestyle. I think the reason your coach is telling you to do IMs is because of the fact that the freestyle is last. This way, you will get tired by the time freestyle comes up, but you'll still have to go and this will help you in your freestyle by giving you more strength and more stamina for your races((it's complicated, I don't know exactly how to put it into words)). My friend is a freestyler and my coach made her do IMs for a while for this reason and it really helped her.

My favorite strokes are butterfly, backstroke and breastroke, I just don't like the freestyle. If you think the 50 butterfly is exciting, try doing a 200. I have to do a 200 butterfly at every single meet ((it sucks but it helps me get better of course)) I think if you can swim a 200 butterfly without getting very tired, then you can seriously do anything ((swimming-wise)).

Have fun swimming!

I'll be there in less than 2 months.
Sheldon