Hi, there. My brother was involved in a fight several days ago. He was injured and it seems that he has a spinal cord injury. I am not sure how serious it is, but I would like to know if this injury can be cause of some disease. What do you think? Thanks in advance.

Hello. Spinal cord injuries can cause diseases. It all depends how serious condition of a patient is. Since they usually lie, there is a risk of deep vein thrombosis. This condition can lead to pulmonary embolism. If the patient has paralyzed abdominal and intercostal muscles that are important for breathing, then he will only use diaphragm for this purpose. Coughing can occur and very often a pneumonia develops. There is also infection possibility. You can ask your brother's doctor for other diseases as well. I remembered only these ones. Good luck!