Hello, my friends. A very good friend of mine has recently had a spinal cord injury. I am really worried about him. I am curious what can happened because of spinal cord injury. I would really appreciate your replies since I don't know much about this subject. Thanks in advance. Bye!

Hello. Spinal cord injuries are very serious ones. One of the toughest complications is paralysis. Depending on the level of damage, one can have diplegia or quadriplegia. If there is a damage on the thoracic level, then intercostal and abdominal nerves may be dysfunctional. In that way, body uses only diaphragm for breathing, so coughing is common and on that basis pneumonia can develop. Since these patients lie down, deep vein thrombosis may occur. Its most dangerous complication is pulmonary embolism. Syringomyelia is a post-traumatic enlargement of the spinal canal. The nerves bellow the level of damage are disconnected with the brain, so there is a muscle spasticity. It would be best to talk to your friend's doctor because every case is for itself and your friend doesn't need to have all these conditions.