Hello, guys. My father had a recent spinal cord injury. I am not sure about an outcome, but as far as I can see, doctors are not so optimistic. I would like to know whether paralysis is the worst scenario when it comes to this kind of injuries. I would be very grateful for your replies.

Hello. I think paralysis is the worst scenario of spinal cod injury. I think it is especially true when it comes to quadriplegia. Although, there are other serious complications. There are respiratory complications and infections. If the injury involves upper thorax, then breathing can be compromised. And that is very serious condition. If the nerves for intercostal and abdominal muscles are paralyzed, only diaphragm works. As a result, there is coughing and pneumonia as a common complications. However, I hope this won't be the case with your father. I wish you all the best.