Hello! My sister has a son and he has stuttering disorder. He goes three times a week to see his speech specialist and there has been some progress. We were explained that the time is needed to see the firs results and we are aware of it. I often speak with my sister about stuttering. We noticed that there have been other cases of stuttering in our family too. What causes stuttering?

Hello! Scientists noticed long time ago that stuttering might run in families. There is a strong possibility that some forms of stuttering are hereditary but no gene responsible for this disorder have yet been found. There are also opinions that stuttering is caused by neurogenic disorders when the he brain is unable to coordinate the different components of the speech mechanism. It is also noticed that stuttering is occasionally caused by some types of mental illness or severe mental stress.