Hello! My brother has a five years old son and his speech was normal till recently. He started to stutter few days ago. My brother thinks this is just a phase in his growing and he even thinks his son wants to attract attention but I am afraid this could be serious. Is stuttering a kind if disability?

Hello! Stuttering is a disorder that affects communication and causes interruptions in a person’s ability to form words and sentences needed to communicate with other people.
Children between the ages the ages of 2 and 5 sometimes stutter but this is considered normal and in most cases the condition resolves without complications after some time. But, if stuttering problems persist or worsen as they get older then stuttering may remain a lifelong problem. Proper therapy is needed to overcome stuttering problems.

Hello there,

Maybe your brother has right and this is just a phase in his development so you will have to wait and see. Usually this approach isn’t that great solution but maybe in this moment is the only thing you can do.

Lilith has gave you all the needed info about stuttering disorder so I believe that you are now well informed and that the next step is convincing your brother to take his son to the doctor if he doesn’t stop with stuttering after some time.  

If it comes to this you can scare him a little bit and tell him that it is always better to be safe than sorry. I hope that your nephew is going to be fine.