Hi, my mother has problems with anxiety for a long time, and recently she started having panic attacks too. I think she needs a stronger drug, because this one is not helping her. Does anybody know what is the best antidepressant for anxiety and panic?

Hello, my father-in-law suffers from the same thing as your mother. He has both anxiety and panic. He tried many drugs, like librium, serax, ativan but the best benzo for him was valium. When he used valium, his fears and attacks were reduced, and his life was becoming normal again, as much as it was possible. He stopped using it for some reason, I really don’t remember why, and he’s anxious again. A few days ago, he heard from a friend about antidepressant called tofranil, and he decided to give it a chance. My husband is really worried for his father, and we hope this antidepressant will help him. I heard about few more antidepressants, like anafranil, pamelor and elavil.

ive tried many drugs over the years for depression but when i experienced anxiety as well my doctor put me on a new drug called escitalopram brand name cipralex, its really great because a low dose works really well and I didn't have any side effects. took away the panic attacks within a few days. worth a try i would think

For most people, the best SSRI's for anxiety disorders are Paxil, Lexapro or Zoloft. Zoloft is specifically indicated to treat panic disorders. However, you may have to try a few different ones and different dosages, as their effect varies from person to person. She also might want to try Xanax to stop a panic attack when she feels it starting, however you need to be careful as Benzos are addictive. SSRIs are best for long term treatment.

I found Ativan to be the best and most quick one to stop a panic attack. But youy need to bve very careful with Ativana and ahould NOT take it daily. Just take it if you feel you are having a panic attack or during an attack.
It takes on;y few minutes to stop the attack.
Xanax is also good . Klonopin made me so tired and could not even get up next day.

Hello. I used sertraline, to aid in depression and generalized anxiety, in the past, with no side effects. However, even after months of use, I didn't find it to be useful for me (based on my own personal decision). Benzos are the best immediate treatment for instantaneous anxiety and panic relief. A friend of mine uses Effexor, which is a serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor, to combat depression from the loss of a brother. He finds it to be extremely helpful; much more than SSRI's. MDMA is a serotonin-norepinephrine-dopamine releasing agent and has intensely profound effects on removing anxiety and depressing feelings. In my opinion (how ever valid it may be) the quality of relief (felt by the individual) is a function of the increase in the catecholamines in the brain. However, the larger the increase, the larger the potential for psychological dependency (once again my opinion). SSRI may be the better choice for the least physical effect on the body; but, the slow increase in serotonin alone may prevent some from ever observing a change that can be identified psychologically. Whereas the elevated levels of serotonin and norepinephrine may be easier for the individual to feel relief which can be identified consciously. The easier the relief in anxiety is felt, the easier that chemical can become psychologically dependent (my last opinion I'm supplying here). High elevations of catecholamines can bring about adverse effects to normal daily functioning (shouldn't be taking MDMA at work, ha).

Anyways, sorry if this is lacks organization and error. I just want to share what I understand, which is from educated individuals, my own desire to educate myself, and from experience.

REMERON for anxiety!!!!!!!!!!

I tell this to all my patients, please have drugs be your last resort. Most of the anxiety and depression your feeling are the results of unresolved conflicts and upset we carry around with us. Please talk to a trained psychologist or a bio-feeback therapist. I 've seen so many people going through life just druging themselves, and never knowing there true potential. Goodluck

I agree to a certain point with your statement. I suffered from severe panic and anxiety attacks since I was a teenager and use to be a firm believer against drugs. I ended up going to the psychologist and was finally diagnosed with OCD with thought patterns, post traumatic stress disorder, and ADD. I went to the doc and after taking Zoloft, 80% of the attacks have subsided and I feel like I can function like most people do without severe anxiety. I strongly recommend anyone who has similar issues to not shun medication. The medication does not change who you are, in fact, I believe it lets a person be able to express themselves more freely and confidently. I wish I would have started taking the medication sooner.

I have anxiety big time i have every symtom going like dizziness,sweating, stomachache, nausea, vomiting, shaking loss of appetite, feel really detached from my sourroundings, weak legs anyway i'll be here all night if i try and say them all but recently my doctor put me on anti depressents and im against them as you get addicted andf you feel ten times worse but he also put me on half inderella and i started taking them but then i forgot to tske one everyday but i have just started them again so i was wondering if anyone else had had these tablets and if they are any good for anxiety because i can surely say that anxiety is ruining my life and i'm scared to death. I don't want to feel like this everyday i went as far as to write a note of tips to take with me when i go out but that didn't work i am so fed up i have been like this for 5 years now and i cannot do the things i want to do aka go for a walk without worrying going to my boyfriends without worrying but everytime i go out i feel really bad the weak legs sensation please HELP someone it would be appreciated thanx

Yes to inderal. Beta blocker for anxiety, but maybe not severe anxiety.

Mdma aka ecstasy

Wow, a unique situation, like mine,, About a year ago after having first effective adderalll dose(scary med in ways), I knew i was add/adhd in 30 minutes, without a doudt, the obvious effects and several dozen mini-miracle unseen effects, yet also OCD(mental cycles) that are extremely tough to let go, anxiety and dystymia( i call it "conditional depression") always on sommer on the back burner, yet triggers,situations etc, can bring it forward almost instantly--especially in an OCD mindset...And anxiety with ADD,, they are like feuding rivals...one being about fracture, all over the place, and the other worrying about being all over the place.. Right now, with wha"oodgt i've looked at in readings, effexor may not be best choice,, I've been on most of em' yet Zoloft not yet, (tons of social aspects,phobias, reactive,impulsiveness from frustrations.....I ramble--just "nice", not joy wise, to see similarities,,Jack...Take care!

btw this response was to guest,,, above Leah 026

I feel you, Leah, It is like pause,rewind replay, everyday...AND its' not our fault, but to accept and figure out coping are our responsibilites, And doesn't it stink we get worried about what others think,and deny ourselves peace if mind?? I see myself quite frankly as extremely masochistic, I'm 45, and have stuggled immensely in ALLphases of life....The shortcut,, do the self-eval, find CORE issue,issues,,aka Any chilhood trauma, alc. parents, traumatic events...etc.....go thru your emotions and try to distinguish what is you and what "overblown" cause of possible past stuff... Gotta do the work,,,feel empowered you will know your doing the right thing....."detach with love"(al-anon term) from others who,bother,trigger ,etc...we can't change them, they gotta wanna do that, so shape it to what serves you!,, its; gonna take me more years to do,, hope is a good thing!!!! take care!