So i am a recovering alcoholic who hasn't had a drink in over 7 years. I have been prescribed ativan by a psychiatrist.

Now get this though, I have never seen a psychiatrist. My wife has and he gave her a script for ME. I assume this is illegal.

I would never knowingly take a benzo of any kind as I know their effects and their GABA receptor effects. Basically the same effects as alcohol. I used to drink over a case of beer a day and know taking ativan or any benzo would basically instantly cause me to start drinking again.

I have had withdrawal seizures, and bad hand shaking when withdrawing from alcohol.

I am just looking to what other people think about this situation.

The doctor actually told my wife that he didn't know if ativan was addictive after she told him I was an alcoholic.

Are most psychiatrists this stupid? I mean I know more about the medications he is prescribing then he does.

Either that or he is just looking for an easy way to get business, as I assume all psychiatrists that write any scripts for benzos are.

Yeah lets give people one of the most addictive substances on the planet so we can get more business.

I take Ativan every day , which is treatment for a long history of anxiety/panic attacks, but the thing is , I actually looked into it , and spoke with the dr myself before taking it. It is infact a Benzo , but it is also a commonly used drug for Seizures, and trembeling...which is why he prescribed it to you. NO I don't think he should have without seeing and assesing your situation first...but let me suggest this- (with all due respect) why don't you speak to a Dr. yourself instead of having your wife go for you? If you did , you might not have to ask question to people (non doctors) on the internet.

You mention you take Ativan regularly, can you tell me if this medication has affected your appetite? Has it caused you to gain or loose weight? Anyone that takes this drug would be appreciated to answer. Thanks.

You are a very informed person. Viewing a close friend taking adavin, I could see it rendered the same affects as his alcohol drinking. So this psychiatrist prescribes adavin and the patient is still drinking heavily. Needless to say, he was hospitalized and placed in restraints. He became hostile and incoherent. I am afraid for him. He thinks getting pills from the doctor and drinking too is sooooo clever and "cool". Obviously, he has brain damage as his maturity level is probably at a 12 yr old level. So sad and acart.