Hello, folks. My brother was recently discovered asbestosis. I guess it must have some connection with him working with asbestos. I would like to know what asbestosis actually is since this is the first time I hear about this disease ever. What it is? I would really be thankful for all your replies.

Hi. You are right. Asbestosis is a lung disease resulted from exposure to asbestos. It appears after a long exposure period, usually with people who work with asbestos (in mines, for example). It is considered to be an occupational lung disease. Parenchymal tissue is filled with asbestos nodules and as a reaction the lung tissue is replaced with fibrous tissue. The main symptom is shortness of breath that is know as dyspnea. This disease can have some serious complications such as lung cancer and mesothelioma. Your brother should consult with his doctor about a possible treatment. I hope he will be better. Good luck!