Hi, folks. My brother was hospitalized yesterday. He had a severe diarrhea and an extensive fluid loss. His doctor mentioned he had pre-renal failure. As far as I understood, his kidneys had impaired function. I would like to know what causes this kind of failure. I would be very thankful for your replies.

Hi, there. Prerenal failure is a type of acute kidney failure. It is caused by factors that appear “before” kidney. The most common cause is dehydration. It is caused by excessive fluid loss. It happens with diarrheas, vomiting, extensive burns, etc. Shock with low blood pressure can also cause this. Stenosis of renal artery can also cause this failure. Severe heart failure is another possible reason. In a word, all factors that decrease blood flow into the kidneys, can be a cause of prerenal failure. If you have more uncertainties, don't hesitate to ask. Bye!