Hi, Im`30 and I work for a construction company. Recently, I`ve been exposed to asbestos fibers (this happened before, 3 or 4 times and will happen again). Troubled, I`ve been reading something about asbestos and now I`m afraid that this intermittent exposure to asbestos will give me a lung cancer. I`m also a heavy smoker. Any comfort?

Hi, quit smoking man if you can`t stop working with asbestos. I know about four diseases directly connected to intermittent asbestos exposure, Asbestosis, Pleural Plaque&Thickening, Mesothelioma and, of course, Asbestos lung cancer. For any persons with intermittent asbestos exposure lung cancer is the most common type of cancer, so you have to take some precaution. This lung cancer develops through the tissue, obstructing your air passages. But, the comfort for you is that you have 20 or 30 years between intermittent asbestos expore and the occurrence of a lung cancer. Smoking gives your exposure a multiplying effect, creating an extreme susceptibility to lung cancer. So better quit smoking.

There are not 'safe' limits of asbestos fibre. They do not expel from the lungs properly and constantly move around scarring up the lung tissue. Do not do any more asbestos work unless you (and your co-workers) are using proper safety equipment. No, those c**p masks from HomeDepot do not remotely cut it. If your employer wont get proper equipment, sue.