My husband had mesothelioma. He was exposed to asbestos trough his work. He died recently. His doctor told me that my children and I have a factor risk for this disease. Is this true?

Hi! Unfortunately you and your children have increased risk for this disease. This a hidden risk of asbest exposure. An increasing risk for mesothelioma is in families whose only contact to asbestos was from the dust laden work clothes of a family member is being reported. People who were in contact with workers which had asbest exposure also have to be screened for lung disorders regularly. The risk of developing mesothelioma is not just confined to the person directly exposed. But may extend to family members and friends of those directly exposed. Even someone who has not been directly exposed is at risk may develop the disease. So, you and your children have to be screened for lung disorders regularly.