I used to be regular at the pools. I decided to start swimming seriously so I joined the club. I was told by some coaches that I would have difficulties reaching top results since I have Pectus Excavatum. I have never heard of this. What the hell is Pectus Excavatum?

Hey there pectus excavatum is a fairly common congenital defect that causes your chest ( sternum and ribs) to cave inwards and make a bowl like depression. Some cases are more severe than others . They can worsen during puberty.   Do you get tired more quickly than your friends during exercise? Also how old and how tall are you?

Pectus excavatum is an abnormal formation of the rib cage, where the distance from the breastbone (sternum) to the backbone (vertebrae) is decreased. It gives the chest a caved-in appearance. It is a congenital abnormality caused by excessive growth of the connective tissue joining the ribs to the breastbone. This causes an inward malformation of the sternum. If the case is severe your heart of lugs may be affected making exercise difficult. It can be a case of familiar pectus excavatum, isolated effect, Marfan’s syndrome or Rickets. If you haven’t had any problems so far there is no reason to be concerned. Should you develop trouble breathing, notice decreased exercise tolerance, develop chest pain, notice redness, swelling or discharge from the area then you should see medical professional. Although this condition can be surgically repaired, surgery is advised only if you have difficulty with exercise for instance.