Hi. I have a drinking problem and going on some group therapy. But recently I started to have some sort of a mucle cramps and it really hurts. Wonder if my excessive alcohol consumption is the cause of my muscle cramps? Or could it be something else? Like some sort of a heart problem? I do have irregular heartbeats, probably due to alcohol consumption. Also, my breath is really short (I smoke too).

Hi. Yeah, you should avoid excessive alcohol consumption. Too much of alcohol can give you increased thirst, irregular heartbeat, mood changes, muscle cramps or pain. Don`t know about you heart problems, but if you have irregular heartbeats the alcohol could be the cause of that. Also, heat exhaustion and a heat stroke can give you muscle cramps. I know that diuretics are used to prevent or reduce the swelling, shortness of breath and bloating. They remove water and salt from your body, but sometimes also remove potassium, so you might need to use potassium pills.

i have the same symptoms. i have been drinking for years but i dont consider myself an alcoholic since i dont drink as often as my body desires and i dont drink excessively. i dont get agitated without a drink or long for its taste. i only drink only on occassions or parties but one thing is for sure i am a strong drinker- e.g i dont get drunk easily. but given by the no. of beer cans and bottles of hard liquor i have noticed that after a certain amount i have some body aches or muscle spasm whenever i drink. it may be a beer or hard whiskey. i feel some contraction of my muscles from my shoulders down to my chest. its like doing a 2mile marathon for the first time and doing excessively. i usually drink a lot of water and some stretching of muscles as a remedy but what im wondering is why do i have this kind of sensation on my body which i dont usually have during my twenties. ( im on my thirties btw). i would like to know from a medical perspective what causes my body to feel this way. is it due to weight gain? less excercise? or cardio propblems- which i dont know. thank you for your perspective.

I don't know but I did read on eHOW: Alcoholism and Symptoms that alcohol does put fat on the body and can definitely create heart damage, high blood pressure, increase risk of stroke and a weakened and enlarged heart and congestive failure... Also, as to the former question of heart rate increase, if you have taken or are taking certain medications, the effect of those medications can increase with acute alcohol use... Some people are considered alcoholics and others "alcohol abusers", just been doing research.
Thanks!

i just drank 5 days strait,,,i have alcohol problems also...and yes too much can cause mustles to cramp and hurt bad...i have not drank in 2 days so im feeling the cramping right now in feet...legs...arms....i also feel like heartproblems....everything your goinh through im going through right now

Yes...everything your going through im going through now...and it is because of alcohol..i have a drinking problem too...and this only happens when I drink way too much....it really sucks bad...take each day slow...drink a pidalite....lots of water and eat....and things will get better...it just takes time cause our bodies took a huge pounding from the alcohol.

I have extreme pain in my ankles and feet, my shins and thighs. I do drink alot, take blood pressure meds, I wake up several times a night and have to walk it off and then have to stand. I might need to use the bathroom and can't, because I can't sit down (or my legs cramp up). I just had blood work done, the doctor called me in two weeks early than my appt. I hope it's not my liver or kidney.

heal yourself and get rid of your addictions. there are 12 step programs in addition to therapy. you probably need to address unresolved issues from your childhood (that's psych code for crappy parenting by the parental units). People do this all the time -- people tend to parent as they were parented or else go 180 degrees opposite and fail at setting boundaries. You can do it.

Alcohol strips magnesium a critical nutrient for nerve health.  My father was a nutritionist most of his life developing and selling nutrients for Eastman Chemical.  He was minly involved in natural vitamin E.

Later in life he succomed to alcholism.  Hiding bottles of cheap blended whiskey around the house for several years.  He finally went in for the cure and detox.  After sufferinng the cramps in legs and feet he recommended they add magnesium supplements to treatment.  It really helped a lot of people and is now part of most programs.

Just make sure it is the right form of magnesium.  There are two main kinds.  Ask at a health food store. 

Personnally I take a suplement with potasium, calcium & magnesium daily. 

Quinine helps in serious emergencies while cramps are occuring and can stop them in a few minutes.  Just don't use often as it can cause other problems. 

Hope your ok?

I do drink, one glass of Rum mixed with a fruit drink. I find that on occations when I don't have to work the next day and have 2 glassed I find my fingers cramp so bad they will bend unnaturally bend backwards a bit and I can't move the cramped finger/fingers and causes tramindes pain. Could. This be a lack of the electrolytes you mentioned?

I have that too

To simplify the explanation ....and not discuss Mallory Weiss and Boerhaves syndrome which is not the primary issue here...but anyway...alcohol inhibits something called antidiuretic hormone (ADH) which is secreted when the body is dehydrated so that it can reabsorb the little fluid it has instead of peeing it out. This happens at the level of the kidneys and what happens with alcohol is that ADH is turned off so you pee out the water that you would normally have reabsorbed...but the kidney also reabsorbs sodium and potassium and magnesium so this is not happening either. When you start to drink you start to have to pee a lot ...just to illustrate my point...Your body is cramping b/c of loss of electrolytes and water and gatorade or powerade or pedialyte will help you get those electrolytes back to status quo. Every crave a salty greasy meal after binging...well that is your body trying to get salt back into your system b/c it helps to rehydrate your body. Salt and water move together and without going into all the details of the kidneys mechanisms you are basically losing it all in your pee. With regard to your heart...lack of electrolytes such as potassium and magnesium can effect your heart rate too. So plain water isn't going to do it. You need some sort of electrolyte supplementation as well.

I was reading all the posts, i hope your ok, and I am an athlete that drinks, and am cramping up to sometimes dibilitation. Can't get up, one time, everyday back or shoulder pain.

u should stop drinking then :)