Hi everyone,

This is a question for all the women out there who happened to be pregnant and diagnosed with mitral stenosis, or their husbands who were there with them during this time. Or basically anyone who knows anything about this I guess.

My wife and I were really happy when we found out that we are going to have a baby but when the nurse looked at my wife's medical records she was like "wait, you were diagnosed with mitral stenosis earlier...?". She had a very serious look on her face. I want to know what can we do and if this is any dangerous, please tell me.

Hi Allan,

My aunt was diagnosed with mitral stenosis and she was pregnant at the same time. Actually, it wasn't until her pregnancy that she found out that she had mitral stenosis.

Mitral stenosis usually shows no symptoms so a lot of people who have this condition aren't really aware that they have it. Pregnancy is not very safe only if this condition progressed and became severe which rarely happens. Anyway, the only thing that can basically happen is that your wife starts to have symptoms of mitral stenosis, nothing else. It might be hard for her or it might be easy on her, it all depends.

Hey Adria,

So you are telling me that this isn't anything serious, like, it cannot harm my wife or our baby? 

If this is true what you are telling me, then this is a big relief for us. I don't know, the nurse's face seemed a lot serious so we didn't really know what was going on there. 

Is there any additional info that you can give us, or someone else? Is my wife supposed to live somehow different than other pregnant ladies, should she make any lifestyle changes and what is most important, can the medications that she is taking affect our baby?

Hey Alan,

Actually, there are some medications that can harm her baby. I'm sorry to tell you this, but most of heart medications aren't good when a person is pregnant therefore I think you two should talk to your wife's doctor. If she is taking one of these medications that aren't good for her baby, she might be in small, medium, or in a lot of trouble. The worst case would mean that it would be better for her to have an abortion, or both of your wife's and your baby's life can be in danger. I'm sorry for these news.

Hello everyone. My colleague’s wife was diagnosed with Mitral stenosis while she was pregnant. I know that his life was a hell when he found out this, so we were into this story pretty much. Look,  a pregnant woman who is diagnosed with mild-to-moderate mitral stenosis can almost always be managed with judicious use of diuretics and beta blockade. So, it can be treatable and basically if you have a good doctor nothing is going happen to pregnant lady.  On the other hand, pregnant women with severe mitral stenosis who are symptomatic before conception will not predictably tolerate the hemodynamic burden of pregnancy and should be considered for percutaneous balloon mitral valvotomy before conception provided the valve is anatomically suitable.

Good day there.

Look any heart disease can be dangerous for women and kids if it’s not treated in the way it should be. I know that there are a lot of questions about this, about pregnant ladies with mitral stenosis. It is very important for them to plan their delivery very careful and to be in constant touch with their doctors. That is the only way to have a safe pregnancy. I know several ladies who had successful pregnancies beside the mitral stenosis. So I don’t see why, with good doctor's care, she would not have safe delivery.

Good day there folks. My cousin Ellie had this diagnosed. She didn't know this before, she found out about this when she was pregnant. She swears to me that she would not get pregnant if she knew this, at least not without consulting with her doctor. So, when she was diagnosed with mitral stenosis, she was really scared. She was non - stop at her doctors because she was really scared that something will go wrong. But now, she is fine and her son Lee is three years old. I think that with good care you can have this pregnancy despite the diagnose.