Hello. I am divorced and my ex wife moved with my daughter to another city after we got divorced. It is hard for me because I am able to see my daughter only during summer vacations. I really miss her very much. But yesterday my ex called me and she crushed me with some information. She told me that my sunshine is diagnosed with pericardial effusion. I know that this has to do something with the heart and I am scared. I couldn't sleep all nigh because I was trying to find out as much as I can about this. Can you tell me what exactly this is and how it is diagnosed? 

First, you need to try to be calm because of her. I need more information because that is the only way that I can help you. Pericardial effusion can develop very quickly or more gradually. The normal pericardium actually can stretch to accommodate increases in pericardial volume with the amount of stretch. A pericardial effusion is considered to be present when accumulate fluid that is within the sac exceeds the small amount that is normally present. It can develop in the patient with virtually any condition that can affect the pericardium. That usually can include acute pericarditis and a lot of other systemic disorders.

Hello you two.

Alan, you made me cry because I am really sensitive to those family situations. I admire you, I don’t know how you can be that calm. I really can’t stand those situations. I just can’t.

I can understand how worried you are about your daughter. Pericardial effusion is the presence of an abnormal amount of fluid and an abnormal character to fluid in the pericardial space. It actually can be caused by a lot of different local and systemic disorders. It can be idiopathic as well. Examination can determine the diagnose of this issue. That is the only way.

Hey guys. Thank you so much for your support. You don't have an idea how much this means to me, especially because I am alone and sometimes I think that no one understands me. I called my ex wife today. I want to be in this case as much as I can. She told me that there is no need for me to try that hard to get someone who is expert because she already have a doctor who knows everything. I don't care about her words. I called my doctor today and he told me that pericardial effusion can be caused by some stress as well. Is this possible? Maybe it is our fault because she was diagnosed with this disease? Is it possible to diagnose it just with one simple test, like my ex wife told me?

Hey there. Look Alan, you are the father of this kid and you have all rights to treat her the way you think it is necessary. So, if you think that your doctor can tell you more about this ask him. If you find out something new, insist that she let him to you, to treat him. Trust me, there are so many ways to do this.

About your question I am pretty sure that one simple test cannot diagnose pericardial effusion to your kid. It can be determined only with more tests and analyses.

Good luck. 

Let me tell you something about pericardial effusion. Before asking me how do I know anything about this I will tell you that my step – sister is diagnosed with this.  The diagnose may be :

• exudative – tuberculosis,
  • transudative – congestive heart failure,
  • maligan and
  • hemorrhagis – trauma or rupture of aneursyms.

As you can see there are a few diagnoses. Pericardial effusion have changed over the time and vary greatly depends on geography and the population.

No one can tell you what diagnose is proper in this case according to just one post. To tell you this we need to be experts and we need to know patient's history of disease.